Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,572   Posts: 1,545,654   Online: 960

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post

One of my favorite pages on that site is this collection of photographs of family and friends on the beach near their home--
    ditto
    Luis Miguel Castañeda Navas
    http://imaginarymagnitude.net/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been an admirer of you're work since I first saw it more than fifty years ago, you've lived a very long and productive life, rest in peace Peter.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A great loss...Peter and Alice became friends when Ted spent the day at their home to prepare an article in honor of Peter's 90th birthday a few years ago. Both bright, funny, and sensitive people, and the standing joke was how hard Alice tried to get Peter to slow down, and never quite succeeded.

They routinely fed the wildlife that hung out around their home...I'll be making a donation in his memory to an organization that supports that part of their life together.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He was a great photographer, RIP Peter.

Jeff

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have owned one of his cameras for 25 years and have always have recommended them. I am not a great fan of glamour photography, but I admire Peter's dedication and talent. RIP

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    what sad news. i hope he is making great cameras and images " upstairs "

i was lucky enough to speak with mr gowland on the telephone several years ago.
    i had found one of his twin lens 4x5 cameras on ebay and it needed some work to bring
    it back to life. i called one saturday and we chatted for a long time. he had all the lenses
    and parts that i would need to refurbish the camera or if i wanted, he said he could do it for me ...

he was such a nice guy ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mgb74 View Post
    I once called for info on his 4x5 aerial camera and was surprised when I ended up speaking with Peter. Even after it became clear that his 4x5 aerial wouldn't fit my needs, he was happy to spend time discussing aerial photography in general. Like Mike says, a real classy guy.
    This is very interesting. A long time back, I was shooting a lot of aerial, and needed a specialized camera for something I was doing, so I called Peter. He had not made an aerial camera, or at least not one that would work for me, but as we spoke, I could hear his mind working on the various design problems that would be involved in making one. I went on to other things and never followed up on it.

As I recall, I was looking for one that used roll film, and the issue of the self capping shutter was a big part of our conversation. Wish I had left him my phone number! It's fun to see the images of what he did with it, but it would be more fun to have one.
    Last edited by bowzart; 03-19-2010 at 10:39 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    He was a very inspiring photographer. RIP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    His cameras were so unique, was glad I had a chance to own one. RIP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As an independent he was a genuine innovator and an inspiration to all, I'm not a glamor photographer but I can admire what he accomplished in his lifetime.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin