Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,907   Online: 1096

Shooter
    Multi Format

B&W African wildlife book by ????

Hello everyone!
    I've been an avid reader of apug for some time but my first thread is pretty far off, sorry!

I am looking for a book of which I have forgotten both title and author!

So here goes my, hopefully suggestive, description:

Big, rather glossy, square-shaped hardcover coffee table book filled exclusively with analogue b&w photos of african big game wildlife by a non-wildlife photographer (fashion or commercial). Animal portrait shots to landscapes.

About 140 to 180 pages.

Allmost all photos are full bleed (square) or double pages, and rather grainy, low tech, no high-key flash, no macro, almost journalistic approach, on the action shots side, hardly any or no text in the picture section.

The dust cover photo is also full bleed and b&w.
    All in all I recall it like Salgado's work on steroids.
    Publishing year must be inbetween 1980 and 2006.

The photographer is, as far as I recall, Italian or French (or simply European). Text language: I don't remember... probably English or French. Less probably Italian, Spanish, or German.

Could be the book was nominated or had won a prize for nature photography books or similar.

I've looked at this book 5 to 10 years ago, so my memory may fool me quite a bit.

If anyone has such a book in their library, I'd love to hear from you!

Thanks in advance. And sorry for all those sleepless nights I will cause!

Best,
    Peter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nick Brandt, On this Earth (Chronicle Books 2005)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yes, and NB's work may also be found in the current Audubon magazine. Gorgeous b&w work, and very different from the high-colour fare normally found in magazines like Nat. Geo.

Brandt is a member here; you could search for his posts under the username "nickbran", they are quite informative. E.g. here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum54/7...d-animals.html
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for your lightning-fast replies! The Nick Brandt books are great and indeed very close matches to my sketchy description.
    Unfortunately, that's not what I'm trying to find again. ... Take Brandt's books/subjects and add more action and much bigger grain.

I know I'm being impossible! Sorry!
    Peter

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin