Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,822   Posts: 1,581,886   Online: 1160

Shooter
    Medium Format

I promise, you will adore this site....

During my recovery I am on "the web" too much. Better then staring at the ceiling I guess.

Along the way I found a Flickr site by a Gent that goes by the Name of Joey Harrison. Joey, while a pretty good photographer himself, has a Mom that was a very serious hobby Photographer in the 50's and lived one amazing life. Always printing on her own, in the gifted darkroom her employer / Doctor friend lent her she printed 8x10 on Sat. afternoons.

Much to her credit, Joey has scanned his Mom's prints and negatives and then, his Mother, now in her 80's, has so elquently written stories of life, her life and the lives of the residents of the small Michagin town to the photos. It's much better then reading a book and most readers have begged her to write this into a book. NPR Public Radio had this on the air as well.

I've included the link at the very first story, there is 402 photographs and stories to each one of them.

I would not waste an Apug'er time if I did not think that each one of you, no matter what age, would simply adore this. Please enjoy and take your time thru this.
    Tom

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeyhar...n/set-1071542/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Fantastic! I have only looked at a handful thus far. This will become a big time waster for me!

Cheers and thanks for posting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Great photos, thanks for the info!

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Man, some of those photos bring back alot of memories. As a child of the 50s, and 60s, and the fact that my Dad was always with the camera, I have an hude library of photos similar to hers. My Dad mostly shot Kodachrome, but we did (I still use it today) have a dark room in the basement where I learned my enlarging skills.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I thought that these would bring back a lot of memories for a lot of us.

As for I, I identify with the Doctor Pott story. A old town doctor that accepts only $3 per office visit, the patient waits their turn as they come in the door. For some, the doctor would only charge $0.50 because after all "They still had their pride". The doctor also carried a large black bag and as needed, went on house calls during a moments notice.

I hope this touches each one of you as it did I.
    Tom

Shooter
    Large Format
    Tom, thanks for posting this link! Those pics and the text really bring back memories. My mom grew up at about the same time, in about the same area, as the mother in the Flickr link. And like that mother, my mom also was the family photographer, and took hundreds of similar photos. Now I need to start sorting through my mother’s albums!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had a look through his other sets. He has a nice set about the camera club gear his Mom used to shoot as well:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/joeyhar...7594200522522/

For me, that is just as cool as the other set.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, that's great, I was born one year into 1950 and remember it mostly in black and white, just like the photo. My family album is all black and white photos until the 1960's when Polaroid and color was used much more. It was between the wars, WWII and Korea. If a group of us got together we would talk for hours about the 1950's and never give it all up. Remember going to the...

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Curt, I feel strongly that no matter if Men went overseas to fight or stay in the US and gave up so much during these times that they are indeed,
    "The Greatest Generation". Both Men and Women alike. How interesting that your memory is in B/W. Wow.

Resu, Does it not inspire you. I called my mother today and ask for my old picture albums so I may scan them when I'm better for my son and his followers as well. Get at it.

hoffy, I've just begun that set and your right, it's SO interesting. I think Joey's Flickr page is a goldmine for peeps like us.

Thanks and enjoy.
    Tom

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin