Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,914   Posts: 1,584,711   Online: 785

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The work of Martin Munkácsi

Hi,

Just today in our public library saw a photo book of Martin Munkácsi (Steidl publishers 2005). I had never heard of him before, but flipping through the book, I was quite impressed. Now Henri Cartier-Bresson is of course famous for his "decisive moment" captures, but it turns out Munkácsi was a master in this as well, capturing movement and those rare and beautiful, but often very fugitive, compositions one sees happening every now and then but is often unable to freeze in time using a photo. In fact, according to the preface text with the book, Cartier-Bresson only started taking photography seriously after being confronted and inspired by Munkácsi's work of the 1920s and '30s. Richard Avedon was inspired by his work as well.

Anyway, really enjoyed the livelihood and sheer joy emanating from many of his pictures...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Munkácsi
    http://www.icp.org/site/c.dnJGKJNsFq...n_Munkacsi.htm

Marco
    Last edited by Marco B; 05-03-2010 at 12:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One of my favorite shots of his is "Nude with Parasol", or something like that. I'll have to look for a book as I'd love to see more as well.

Thanks for sharing!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Interesting thanks.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin