Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,629   Posts: 1,647,970   Online: 997

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Karsch

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim68134
    First, where can I get some of that "radioactive butter"?
    You can't get it, you have to make it. The best instruction on how to concoct it can be obtained at http://www.michaelandpaula.com.

I have always been fascinated by the comments I've read about various "icons" of photography on when quized about the reactions of their subjects, how they related that the subject did not initially like their portrait.

Often it seems that when others raved about the portrait, did the subject then do an about turn and say how they also love the portrait.

Luckily for many of these icons, they were not commissioned by the subject in the first place so they never really cared too much about the response from the subject.

Unfortunately, for us schmucks doing portrait work, we indeed are commissioned by the subject, and must please the subject. Life's a bitch.

On reading many things about, and by Karsh over the years, he often related how initially some of his subject even hated the portraits. Many came around over the years but many didn't. Taking photographs of bigger than life people with equally enlarged egos may have been a bit trying as well.

Michael McBlane
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Images
    A couple of months ago, my latest National Geographic arrived and, as usual, I removed the brown paper wrapper and put it (the magazine, not the wrapper) on the counter in the John for future research. The next day I opened it at random (the magazine, not the John) and there was a photograph I immediately recognized as Hillary, photographed by Karsh. Now I don't believe that I've ever seen a picture of him before (except in his mountain climbing duds), but the presentation was so strong that I knew him right away. THAT's the kind of work that Karsh did!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mitchell
    ... there was a photograph I immediately recognized as Hillary, photographed by Karsh. Now I don't believe that I've ever seen a picture of him before (except in his mountain climbing duds)...
    Now that explained it. It was Sir Edmund, not Ms. Clinton!

You had me wondering there for a little...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin