Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,300   Online: 928

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Karsch

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format

Karsch

After a shoot yesterday, a client comparted me to a photographer by name of KARSCH. Not being familiar with names, can anyone here point me in the direction to a site where I can see some examples. The Karsch in question is the black and white photographer who did portraits of Hemingway, Einstein and the like.

just curious...
    thanks.
    ka
    K. L. Taylor
    Black and White Studios

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Here's a good bibliography on Yousuf Karsh--

http://www.collectionscanada.ca/karsh/index-e.html

Yousuf Karsh is a Canadian portrait photographer out of the nations capital in Ottawa. He is/was probably the leading "portrait" photographer on the planet. He made his name internationally partly because he approached visiting leaders to Canada and requested the opportunity to photograph them. Later on the leaders were the ones that requested him.

He later travelled the world photographing famous people, artists, leaders and others, and his work was published in many magazines including Life.

It is a great compliment to be compared to him. Congratulations.

Michael McBlane

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka
    After a shoot yesterday, a client comparted me to a photographer by name of KARSCH.
    Wow! Your work must be truly marvelous to be compared to Yousuf Karsh. He is one of the great masters like Adams and Weston. All his negatives are considered national treasures in Canada and are permanently stored in the National Gallery in Ottawa.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're interested in Karsh's work there is now a retrospective that you can usually find at about 50% off on the internet because there were so many remaindered copies.

High compliments indeed, congratulations!
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi karen, that is a great compliment, congratulations!

one of his books is on ebay now (some of the portraits are on the selling pages)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW[

another book to look out for is --- "portraits of greatness" really nice printing if you can find it

when karsh died he gave a lot of credit to his now unknown mentor, a boston photographer named john garo. he worked between the 1890s and 1930s and was the first american photographer to have an exhibition on london. like karsh after him, garo photographed heads of state, artists and famous people of his time. some refer to the way he photographed as "the garo way" . he was one of the first to borrow "chiaroscuro" lighting from the world of painting and use it in portrait photography. (rembrant lighting). he is also credited as being one of the people that brought platinum printing back to life in the years around WW1. at some point, george eastman asked him to be in charge of kodak's photofinishing operation. garo turned down the job saying that he was an artist, not a technician. in the 1930s he died poor and now he is virtually unknown.

i've been lucky enough to see some of his portraits as well as his pictorialist landscape work. there is a frame studio in boston's back bay that has a hand colored platinum print of jamaica pond: pretty amazing stuff. some of garos's work is in the library of congress, some is in personal collections. alot was lost because after his death, all his negatives mysteriously disappeared from his studio.

again, congratulations

- john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Moore
    If you're interested in Karsh's work there is now a retrospective that you can usually find at about 50% off on the internet because there were so many remaindered copies.

High compliments indeed, congratulations!

This is the book I have and was talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/off...?condition=all
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ka
    Not being familiar with names, can anyone here point me in the direction to a site where I can see some examples. The Karsch in question is the black and white photographer who did portraits of Hemingway, Einstein and the like.
    This is maybe my favorite portrait ever. Like it was painted with radioactive butter. Reminds me of his 4th Symphony, my favorite.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What really made Karsch such an extraordinary portrait photographer was how he managed to show the character of his subjects in a way that no one else seemed to be able to do.

The following link is to his famous picture of Winston Churchill and the story of how he accomplished *that look*.

http://www.mysteriesofcanada.com/Can..._churchill.htm

Ka

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you for the information and links. I can only hope that I will be able to live up to the compliment. Chiaroscuro is my thing... perhaps I am on my way. One can but hope.
    K. L. Taylor
    Black and White Studios

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin