Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,920   Posts: 1,556,559   Online: 1295

Shooter
    Medium Format

soviet photography

is any one able to point me to a book that deals with the post revolution photography on the USSR? in particular el Lizitsky who ended up as editor of pravda

thanks dcm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    i have a kodak edition catalog of russian photographers, it is called: Un regard sur la photographie sovietique contemporaine, it´s a bit overly panoramic but it´s a start.

Boris Mikailov is a must
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Another Russia: Through the eyes of the new Soviet photographers by Daniela Marazkova and Vladimir Remes.

It has about 20 pages of text of history, photographs by Elena Darikovich, Boris Savelev, Aleksandr Slyusarev, Lyalya Kuzentsova, Boris Mikhajlov, Eduard Gladkov, Vladimir Siomin, Rifkhat Yakupov, Egons Spuris, Antanas Sutkus, Romualdas Rakauskas, Algimantas Kunchius, Aleksandras Matsiyauskas, Romualdas Pozherskis, Anatolij Garanin, Sergej Lopatyuk, Vyacheslav Tarnovetskij and Vladimir Zotov. Biographies of the photographers too.

It is one of my favorite books Encompasses a lot of different styles and visions. Egons Supris' ultra wide angle work is stunning.
    Last edited by Krzys; 05-30-2010 at 07:27 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The BBC DVD "The Genius of Photography - how photography has changed our lives" has an interesting chapter on Russian / Soviet photography. Yes, I do realise it's not a book, but thought it could be of interest nonetheless.

The whole series is quite good, for anyone interested in the history of photography, by the way.
    Søren

"We are much more likely to act our way into a new way of thinking than think our way into a new way of acting." - R. Pascale

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The Genius of Photography segment was on Alexander Rodchenko. He experimented and succeeded with odd angles and perspectives in a way which you rarely see, even today.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look for old issues of Sovietsko Foto, it was the Soviet equivalent of Popular Photography, and if you are good with languages, you should be able to decode a few things from the Russian.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    David , There are many old soviet books cover the constructivism and the graphic arts. I found someone from facebook , a book shop , specialized about these 30 50s books and sell each for 1500 dollars.
    May be You can find the books from Moscow Stpetersburg State Libraries and get a copy or the library exchange.
    If you interest on soviets , find russian foto forum . It is light years better than apug galleries.
    If you interest in cinema Tarkovski and Eisenstein books are a must.
    You must must must download Tarkovski Stalker movie , Tarkovski Andrey Rublev movie , Eisenstein Ivan The Terrible and Potemkin from www.gigle.ws free. Each of rapidshare file put 15 minutes delay .
    And you can contact with VGIK Moscow russian State Cinema School and get a copy of their publication list.
    Some of them avail. at russian sites , google it.
    You can OCR Scanner the text , carry to text file and translate with google translate.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Kvistgaard View Post
    The BBC DVD "The Genius of Photography - how photography has changed our lives" has an interesting chapter on Russian / Soviet photography. Yes, I do realise it's not a book...
    There is a book to accompany the series. ISBN 978 184400 363 1

The book only deals briefly with Rodchenko in part 2, which covers the 'New Photographer', including Man Ray, Hannah Hoch, Renger-Patzsch, Karl Bossfeldt, Bernd and Hilla Becher etc.
    Last edited by Andy K; 05-31-2010 at 03:06 AM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustafa Umut Sarac View Post
    If you interest in cinema Tarkovski and Eisenstein books are a must.
    apart from his obviously ingenious movies, tarkovsky himself did quite a lot of polaroid photography. i think there is a book available.
    here are some:
    http://film.guardian.co.uk/gall/0,8544,1226197,00.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thank you all i hadnt realised the genius of photography covered the early russians and its is available here i have found a 40s soviet reconstruction magazine series but boy is it expensive US$150-1500 per edition

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin