Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,911   Posts: 1,584,689   Online: 716

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Photographing a veterinary practice - blog update.

Earlier this year I spent several days photographing a local veterinary practice here in Scotland and I have posted the results on my blog.

http://sar-photography.typepad.com/

Please take a look and I'd appreciate any comments - or questions!

Cheers
    Simon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    53 views and not one comment - jeez, why do I bother?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have a stronger stomach than I do.
    I managed to get a couple photos past the sheep's head. Then it got too much for me.
    What can I say, I'm a wuss...
    BTW, compliments on the project. Good documentary stuff.

Shooter
    35mm
    Excellent photos, mono really brings out the harsh reality of it all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most interesting, and well done. Excellent photos, and I agree with Alex that monochrome is well suited for the subject.
    I too have been spending time at the vet's recently, but not for photography. Must be the silly season for dogs.
    If I had been present at the creation, I would have given some useful hints for the better arrangement of the Universe.
    Alfonso the Wise, 1221-1284

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is a really excellent series, great to look at indeed. I'm sure the vets will be impressed with this documentary. A few years back we were at a friends place for dinner (he is a vet) when a call came for a farm dog which had impaled itself on a stick. Blood and guts everywhere, but we managed to stitch it up and stabilise it enough to get back to our roast!
    Vets do a great job in sometimes appalling conditions, so it's good to see a series like this.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I think you need to get closer and make more use of angles and perspective. There's a very same approach to a lot of the photos and I think you need to engage and commit more. The best documentary photography makes you feel as if you're right there, in the scene, immersed, and elevates itself beyond being a photograph.

Obviously sometimes one can't always get close - but it's a give and take. If you're not close enough or immersed enough the feeling of shared space isnt there.

Shared space is important.

As is constructive criticism and feedback - which isn't always free nor is it guaranteed. :-)
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi Simon, an interesting project following the vets showing life is not like 'All creatures great and small' . It can not be easy documenting the vets at work whilst not getting in their way, others have commented about viewpoints and angles which would be valid comments had this all been set up in a studio, but obviously they are not.
    Regards.

Keith Hudson

My film set on flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/zx9/set...7603300220450/

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Keith, the trick is in being there but not there. Situational awareness is of utmost importance. Respecting but sharing their space. It's all related and no studio should ever be involved.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    35mm
    Given the circumstances, I think the photos are very good. I think clayne's idea of shared space would be a challenge indeed, not least because vets tend to have animals' lives as their priority, rather than 'sharing their space' with photographers. That said, I think you could try to develop some characterisation of the workers by shooting them in their breaks, as they arrive and leave work, you may be able to get some nice studies of them outside of their 'vet' role in that way.
    Steve.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin