Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,501   Posts: 1,571,685   Online: 927

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Yeah - don't worry about it! We all have a style we like and those we don't
    I guess I can't really see much "art" going on in these kinds of photos either. But then, someone else would say that about any photo I've ever taken. My shots are quite "record shots" sometimes myself. So subjective - this thing we call "art". Sometimes I don't even think about "art" or that I'm being an "artist" when I take a picture. At those times, I'm just a happy dude that happens to have a camera at that moment, you know what I mean?

It's the whole look, like others have already stated; it's a [German?] style. From what I can tell, (not like I've ever spoken to him - and that may be necessary), he's just following the movement and adding documentary type photography of what he sees. For what it's worth, I did like one or two of his "streets" series that I've seen online, but that's about it.

Now, I'm not saying I've ever done anything better, of course...and more power to him if he can sell the stuff!
    Last edited by Jedidiah Smith; 06-13-2010 at 09:52 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's not my taste but.. congratulations to anyone who can elevate a few images above the din of modern photography.

As for the description, that kind of hyperbole is all too common now. Since they seem unwilling to hold any praise in reserve, one wonders what they'd say if they saw something really new and transformative.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    As for the description, that kind of hyperbole is all too common now. Since they seem unwilling to hold any praise in reserve, one wonders what they'd say if they saw something really new and transformative.
    At our big new gallery of modern art here, they often have two descriptions for many of the pieces on display - the official statement up at adult reading level, and then the explanation for children down at about 3'6" off the ground. I have to bend down quite a long way, but the kid's explanations are almost always more enlightening!

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by iandavid View Post
    At our big new gallery of modern art here, they often have two descriptions for many of the pieces on display - the official statement up at adult reading level, and then the explanation for children down at about 3'6" off the ground. I have to bend down quite a long way, but the kid's explanations are almost always more enlightening!

Ian
    Haha, I like that. Good that their thinking about making the work approachable for younger audiences.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    Finely crafted, masterfully done illustration
    At least online the exposure and range appears to be nailed, I appreciate that myself...

Seems like any technically adept photographers print when printed large enough - which is to say 'expensively enough' will at some point become art, it did for me and still does to an extent. :rolleyes:
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That whole German school thing doesn't do much for me because it is so bland most of the time. I appreciate it for what it is though. At least he is still using a camera. Gursky's latest work is "appropriation" of satellite images. Of course printed HUGE with a huge price tag to match. Easy money if you can get it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Bechers, Gursky, Struth, Ruth etc are extremely important because they help stretch and define our perception of the or rather some of the boundaries of photography as art. They are a Germanic parallel albeit with different concerns and approaches to the New Topographic movement in America who snatched landscape photography back from the grandeur of large scale vistas, to the realities of every day life, and the political and environmental concerns around us.

Ian

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The Bechers, Gursky, Struth, Ruth etc are extremely important because they help stretch and define our perception of the or rather some of the boundaries of photography as art. They are a Germanic parallel albeit with different concerns and approaches to the New Topographic movement in America who snatched landscape photography back from the grandeur of large scale vistas, to the realities of every day life, and the political and environmental concerns around us.

Ian
    I highly doubt it was just those guys who started integrating landscape with daily life and social interaction. They might have been the ones to hyper-distill it, but plenty of other people have made use of environmental context combined with people.

Personally I find Struth's stuff off the referenced URL to be boring and mediocre. It's almost self-congratulating in a way. My response: "big deal."

It's not really minimal anymore if it's engineered. It's just boring.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    I highly doubt it was just those guys who started integrating landscape with daily life and social interaction. They might have been the ones to hyper-distill it, but plenty of other people have made use of environmental context combined with people.
    These are the people who influenced and informed, and are widely regarded as such around the world.

Ian

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree with the OP. Struth's work - and Ruff's too for that matter- is the Emperors new clothes as far as I'm concerned- there's simply nothing there. In fact I'm not sure how much merit there is in "integrating landscape with daily life" at all.

I don't put Gursky in the same box though- I think there's much more imagination and visual attraction going on there.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin