Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,535   Posts: 1,544,080   Online: 1124

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote:
    [This image, for example, http://www.kunsthaus.ch/struth/en/, of a famous cliff face (El Capitan? Half Dome?) with tourists seems like a nice wry comment on A. Adams's heroic landscape work, but that's all it seems to be other than well-executed.]

My question, in the context of art here:
    Why would you buy that photo? Where would you put it? Would you want to look at it every day? I can understand the making of it. I can understand trying to get a point across. But that "point" portrays little beauty in my mind. I would therefore not purchase that print to hang on my wall, or prop up on a table in my library, etc. Hope I'm making sense...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i don't know

seems every bit as interesting ( or even more so ) as "the famous-one" ..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Because my wife is an exceptionally fine professional artist (oils and pastels), I have a somewhat greater regard for Struth than I otherwise might. Painters (realist, but painterly) will regard just about any subject as worthy. They then juggle value, balance, and a host of other criteria when making their work. We are all rather likely to appreciate a well done painting of nearly anything because we recognize the skill it took to make. We are far less generous about a comparably random photographic subject because it seems to require an explanation to validate its very existence, though no such blather needs to attend a painting. When I look at photographs with the same equanimity that I do paintings, I feel much greater sympathy (although not necessarily more fondness!) for whatever the lens has captured if it "works" in the way a painting would.
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin