Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,818   Online: 679

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Who did this?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A great shot none the less.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lipka View Post
    Take care not to trip in the many tripod holes at that location.
    HaHaHa for sure or maybe tripod obstacle course. A few years ago we were camping in Grand Tetons and I went for an evening shoot at Ox Bow Bend. I was astonished, there must have been twenty to thirty tripods to navigate.

Talking photography with the herd was more fun than trying to shoot.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    That is VERY close to the Adams print I have hanging in the reception room of my office. His is definitely not warm toned, though (at least the print I have).

Jed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am looking at a poster of AA's Tetons and Snake River as I type this and I can confirm that the image the OP posted is not even a toned copy of AA's photo. The clouds, as somebody pointed out, are different in AA's shot, though the tripod location appears to be exactly the same.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Here's a higher resolution image of the photo:
    http://mariagimenez.files.wordpress....nake-river.jpg

Very nice, I use this photograph as desktop background in my Linux System. I thought that a monochrome image would be great for the black UI I chose; AA was my first thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poohblah View Post
    I am looking at a poster of AA's Tetons and Snake River as I type this and I can confirm that the image the OP posted is not even a toned copy of AA's photo. The clouds, as somebody pointed out, are different in AA's shot, though the tripod location appears to be exactly the same.

Maybe your Poster is a fake

The clouds are the give-away they are absolutely identical, there's some unique features so it's a physical impossibility that it's a different= image.

However as I pointed out earlier there are vastly different interpretations made by Adams himself from the same negatives over the years, this is one of those images. Also quality of reproduction is playing a big effect as well, and it's possible the tone colour was done at this stage.

Ian
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails aa-compare.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Maybe your Poster is a fake

The clouds are the give-away they are absolutely identical, there's some unique features so it's a physical impossibility that it's a different= image.

However as I pointed out earlier there are vastly different interpretations made by Adams himself from the same negatives over the years, this is one of those images. Also quality of reproduction is playing a big effect as well, and it's possible the tone colour was done at this stage.

Ian
    The reproduction in the copy of "The print" that I have makes the clouds look different. It is NOT clear that it is the same negative. But close examination of detail such as tree branches and placement shows that it is was taken at the same time and is not a recent image. Again, I suspect it was taken at the same time but may be a one of several negatives produced. Reproduction may account for the differences I see in clouds or they may not. But as someone pointed out, the brown toning was not Adams style so its probably a modern print of one of his negatives.
    It could just be someones idea of improving the original.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    tlitody,
    Not to hijack this thread too much, but I think you hit on something in your last sentence. "Improve the original"...that is something I have a hard time with in a way. Perhaps why I liked shooting chromes so much a couple years ago. When you shoot a positive, you pick the exact look that you, the artist, wants by combination of film choice, lighting, lens, aperture and shutter speed. If successful, the result is a pure photograph, one that existed exactly as such in your mind before you tripped the shutter. (Not saying you can't pre-visualize a neg to print, but see below...)

Shooting negative film, however, subjects one's work to many extra variables once the artist is dead/gone/ no longer printing. Master that he was, even Adams' careful selection of time of year for this shot, negative film stock, and developer, camera used, etc . . . it all can be manipulated and changed by anyone who comes along after him and "improved" in their mind.
    Kind of interesting to think about, at least to me. (I'm not anti-negative film; I just shot a roll of Plus-X last night!)
    Last edited by Jedidiah Smith; 06-22-2010 at 12:57 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Spell check!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin