Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,694   Online: 827

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Minor White

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roy
    I don't want to stir up anything here (!!) but I have it in my mind that the idea of the zone system was his but put into practice by Adams. Correct me if I am wrong.
    "Minor wrote of our first meeting in Memorable Fancies:

Ansel met me at the train yesterday. This morning in his class at the California School of Fine Arts the whole muddled business of exposure and development fell into place. This afternoon I started teaching his Zone System. Ansel did not know it, but his gift of photographic craftsmanship was the celebration of a birthday."

- Ansel Adams An Autobiography, p. 318

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No photographs but an interesting book is: Report: Minor White Workshops and A Dialogue Failed by Arnold Gassan. Maybe someone that actually attended one of his workshops will put up some comments.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by philldresser
    I ordered the yesterday and will keep a look out for a copy of 'the eye'
    Recieved the Rites of Passage book this morning. I must say that most of the images are stunning. I love the abstracts, and will derive much pleasure from them. I find these abstract images inspirational and want to go shoot with my 5x4.

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Minor white did a master class in the 70's at the college(derby college of higher education) I attended,although I wasn't there at that time. I asked the course leader what he remembered about the workshop and all he said he could remeber was that he had all the students up on the roof at the crack of dawn doing movement exercises to loosen up their creativity- I would have loved to have been there to see that.

Hey Phill, you might want to check out the work of photographers John Blakemore and Thomas joshua cooper(if you haven't already) as they all work within a similar tradition. I can highly reccomend a workshop with John he's a great teacher and one of these days I will get around to taking a workshop with TJC.

Andy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin