Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,774   Online: 1273

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Minor White

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Minor White

Well I have heard Minor White mentioned on many occassions but have never actively sought out any of his work.

Today, an APUG member made reference to a particular image so I spent a little time trying to source some of his images on the web and at my local library. I only found a few images on the web which I liked immensly but found zero at the library. So can anyone point me to some good sources of his images or recommend books worthy of his work

Thanks

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

The only book still in publication is "Rites and Passages" (I think). However, many books on Minor can be found used at Amazon and at photoeye.com.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    The image also is on plate 134 in the book "Mirrors, Messages And Manifestations", but this one would be a lot harder to find and a lot more expensive. www.abe.com has copies of "The Eye That Shapes" in softback for $60. That's the cheapes that I've been able to find. It is a great book if you like Minor White's work. This image is not reproduced in Rites & Passages or Living Rememberance.

eBay, item #6912641727 is "Mirrors, Messages And Manifestations" currently at $79. It is without dustjacket and is listed as a First Edition, 1969. This book was also printed in 1982. It is must-have if you like his work and is a collector's item. The missing dust jacket would hurt it's re-sale value later but it is a good investment.

eBay item #6911644490 is "The Eye That Shapes", hardback 1st Ed. fine condition for a BIN of $150.

Good Luck.

-Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I have _The Eye that Shapes_ in softcover and recommend it. If it's not at photoeye, try alibris.com.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Minor White

Minor White helped to found Aperture Magazine and there is info on him in their 50th anniversary book. You might also want to go to http://www.aperture.org/ There are a fair amount of resources on him there.
    Nancy Newhal, who wrote extensively on the photographers of Group f/64, wrote a book called "From Adams to Stieglitz: Pioneers of Modern Photography", in which she devotes chapters to various photographers of the early to mid-half of the 20th century. One of these chapters is dedicated to Minor White and outlines much of his career. I don't know where you looked on the web, but I know that Masters Of Photography has some good examples of his work. Well I hope this helped out.
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]"We are not at War, we are having a nervous breakdown". Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J. Collier
    I don't know where you looked on the web, but I know that Masters Of Photography has some good examples of his work. Well I hope this helped out.
    Stephen

Basically the Masters site was one of the few places where I could view images. I liked what I saw immensely and now will actively seek more of his work. I cant believe that I have missed him!. I have books by Ansel, Weston and various other icons, plus some modern day 'idols' but have not been exposed to Minor White.

I ordered the Rites of Passage book yesterday and will keep a look out for a copy of 'the eye'

Thanks

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

White

Minor White is one of the very under appriciated and overlooked photographers to come out of the straight photography movment. I have had a really hard time finding anything on him too.
    [COLOR=DarkOliveGreen][SIZE=2]"We are not at War, we are having a nervous breakdown". Hunter S. Thompson[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen J. Collier
    Minor White is one of the very under appriciated and overlooked photographers to come out of the straight photography movment. I have had a really hard time finding anything on him too.
    Mirrors, Messages, Manifestations is a masterpiece. Get that one if you can. Much more comprehensive than Rites and Passages.

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I don't want to stir up anything here (!!) but I have it in my mind that the idea of the zone system was his but put into practice by Adams. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'll second c6's recommendation, it is a masterpiece. However, if you really get into Minor White, you will probably need all of the books.

Roy, I think it was Fred Archer and Ansel Adams who initiated the Zone System. Minor White wrote a little yellow book on the zone system that tried to bring it to another level, but was incomprehensible by most.
    Paul Hamann

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin