Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,571   Online: 1149

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have emailed the photo department at the NMAI with a scan of the image. Hopefully they will be able to get back to me with some information. In doing the detail scan I realized that it was a reproduction of the original print, so I feel a bit cheated. However, while the seller may have overpriced this one ($40), I more than made up for it with the other two images I bought, genuine CDVs from the 1860s and 1870s, one of them of a famous burlesque/vaudeville performer, Lydia Thompson.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Scott,

Any luck on this? My efforts contacting a museum has so far remained fruitless.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I got a response from the NMAI image curators:

The image you sent along looks very much like a series of images by Orloff R. Westmann of Jicarilla Apache people, who he photographed at Taos Pueblo NM, 30 September 1871 (I don't have any bio info on ... See MoreWestmann). The giveaway is the striped blanket pinned up against the plastered adobe wall in the background, and their high-topped moccasins, which are typical.

I don't think you can assume the man on in the left was two-spirited, though the outfit is a bit strange (if warm---it gets cold at Taos!). Men normally just wrapped up in a blanket; men also normally braided their hair, intertwined with ribbon or wrapped with fur which this person has not. Checking out the hands and wrists never seems to work to determine the sex of people---these people lead remarkably difficult lives, and the wear and tear on them was tremendous.

My sense is that this is a pic of two women; a confusing but great shot!
    It really only took maybe a week or less to get a response from them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin