Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,477   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Help identify these subjects?

Can anyone help me identify what tribe these two gentlemen are from, and even better, can you verify that the one on the left with the clear face is in women's clothing? Is this a copy of a published image or is this a (relatively) unique original? All I know is that they are of the desert southwest, perhaps Arizona or New Mexico, or even northern Mexico/west Texas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NewMexicans.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I cannot identify the tribe but the one on the viewer's left is almost certainly a female.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Here's one reason why I suspect they are both male - take a look at the hands. If that's a woman on the left, she's got some SERIOUS man-hands.

Upon doing the fine detail scan for the hands, I can tell this is a reproduction, and a fairly recent one at that - you can detect the offset printing dots.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails NewMexicansHands.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From what I remember from viewing photos in the museums I visited in New Mexico, they look to be Apache, quite possibly Jicarilla tribe (northern NM), I dont think them to be Navajo.
    The one on the left is sitting in an effeminate position, subserviante to her partner. The hands dont mean anything, as the women did all the work in camp, including chopping wood for fires and cooking, and washing clothes at the river, etc.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well, I think they're both women. I have noticed the hands, and would explain them away with hard work...
    Photon Counter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting picture, Scott. And based on their body language, it looks like a man (on the right) and a woman on the left. Just look where their feet are. And both their hands have done a lot of work... strong hands, for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks like an Edward S. Curtis photo, although others did similar work. See:

http://googlemini.worldwisdom.com/se...ntend&site=WW2

As said above, women did hard work then. They didn't sit around and do their nails and watch TV. Growing up in farm country, I remember that many of the older women had similar hands. They could chop wood, pitch hay, and many other things that were necessary to be a true partner on the farm. Hands like that have their own beauty.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Suzanne is completly right and has a nice point: "Just look where their feet are."
    /Bertil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're inclined to some further detective work, you can contact the following departments at the National Museum of the American Indian (part of the Smithsonian):

Archives | NMAIarchives@si.edu

Research | NIN@si.edu

Maybe a quicker response can be had from the Braun Research Library, part of the Southwest Museum of the American Indian within the Autry Center (Los Angeles):

rroom@theautry.org

Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know little about these, but have sent an inquiry to a couple of people that might be able to help. The suggestion to contact the National Museum of the American Indian is good.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin