Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,148   Online: 1039

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Joe Deal, a Landscape Photographer of Disquieting Images, Dies at 62

I have not heard of Photographer Joe Deal before.
    Have many of you seen his work ?
    I saw his obit in the NY Times this morning.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/23/ar...3deal.html?hpw

Thanks,
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also haven't heard of Joe Deal. But looking at some of images, they right good!

Jeff

Shooter
    Large Format
    Joe Deal was a cool guy and a great photographer.. His passing was too soon and I'm sure he'll be missed in the academic world also.

If you haven't heard of Joe deal you probably haven't heard of the New Topographics. This exhibition changed landscape photography and studying the work of of photographers like Deal, Gohlke & Baltz has had a great impact on my craft and photography subject matter. RIP Joe Deal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Joe Deal was one of the more influential photographers of the New topographic movement but he didn't become as well know as Adams or Misrach. Great work although perhaps not to everyones taste/

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also hadn't heard of him before. Judging just from the slide show, I like his ideas but I don't immediately understand his composition, especially in the first few images (the ones most prominently showing development splopping over Western landscapes).

Take the first image---um, not the one of him with the fish, but "Untitled View (Albuquerque)". The two things that grab my eye are (1) the giant white roof in the foreground, and (2) the somewhat cockeyed perspective. I get that the point is in part how the buildings marginalise the landscape, but my eye has a hard time latching on to the landscape that's being marginalised, and I don't quite see how the odd angle plays into the whole image.

For the sake of my education, is anyone willing to enlighten me with a little discussion of what's going on in this image, and/or point me at someplace to further my understanding of the New Topographics?

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow this guy is good. I also like his photo of him holding a fish he caught. Not the stereotypical photographers portrait with a big view camera or a 35mm camera with a long lens

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You guys need to take some history of photography courses

RIP Joe.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for your input folks. I now know who Joe Deal was & appreciate his work, Sounds like he was one cooool fella as sublimeone101 says.

ic-racer, fyi.... knowledge is what I was seeking when I authored the post

Steve

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin