Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,763   Online: 975

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by J Rollinger View Post
    I could be wrong but i thought the prints from Ansel in the 70's were done under his supervision but not by his hands. I read that somewhere but don't know if its 100% true.
    While he was alive, any print signed by him was made by him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    See? Who sez you need to be perfect? If I remember properly, he made the print on a grade 3 paper, even though grade 2 was his normal contrast paper.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Somebody on Antiques Roadshow a couple of weeks ago had 3 AA's they picked up at a garage sale for less than $5; value was estimated at $10-15k each. One thing the appraiser commented on, is that prints he did himself, he put his full name on; prints he supervised and approved (but did not do himself), he only put his initials on.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've always loved that about Ansel. It's tempting to get carried away with the Zone system, but then when you read about how he made his most famous images and prints, either he couldn't find the light meter, or he accidentally developed the negative in partially exhausted developer etc. And while he standardizes on Grade 2, most of the prints eventually ended up on lower or higher grades. Whenever I get too nuts about technique (like I did recently with the whole temperature/micro-reticulation discussion), I have to remind myself my favourite Adams picture is Frozen Lake and Cliffs. It was before the zone system, developed in un-exotic D-76 (partially exhausted mind you), a grainy, crappy negative that he printed on Grade 5 or 6 with much effort. But what an image!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin