Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,918   Posts: 1,584,731   Online: 803

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bruce Barnbaum Website

I am aware that some here have attended the workshops of Mr. Barnbaum, visited his website last night and read what I consider a very nice article on his "Thoughts on Digital". Rather than the same old debate, Mr. Barnbaum just covers some of the pitfalls of digital vs traditional and does so in a very nice way, IMO. If you would like to read the article it can be found here..I did contact Mr Barnbaum to ask permission to post this link, and as always he was quick to respond and very gracious.

http://www.barnbaum.com/thoughts.html

I think many here would agree it is nothing new to most of us, but still nice to see someone of Mr Barnbaum's status state the facts, the way most of us see them.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    QUOTE:
    .....nothing has the radiance of a finely crafted silver print. Nothing.

How True

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JMoore
    QUOTE:
    .....nothing has the radiance of a finely crafted silver print. Nothing.

How True
    Well, except for a finely crafted gum over platinum print, which basically crushes any silver gelatin print ever made.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clay
    Well, except for a finely crafted gum over platinum print, which basically crushes any silver gelatin print ever made.
    You don't really think we're going to take that bait, do you? I think this forum has grown out of that sort of thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3
    You don't really think we're going to take that bait, do you? I think this forum has grown out of that sort of thing.
    I believe Clay's opinion to be every bit as valid as Barnbaum's. They are passing judgment over a subjective subject--you can't quantify this subject (and who would want to?). The question "You don't really think we're going to take that bait, do you?" could also be said about the quote from Barnbaum.
    Let's see what I've got in the magic trash can for Mateo!

blog
    website

Shooter
    Large Format
    As with most things in photography, it depends who is reading it. The article has been in the site for a while. Those who do digital bashed him for comparing apples and oranges, those who do mostly analog agreed with him. Of course at the time the thread where the guy lost 4 files he spent gobs of hours working on did not exist.

Me, I am sticking with what I like and know works.

As to the silver print coment, to each its own, dont agree with him but I am not bothered by his comment either.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Replace "silver print" with "contact print".
    Francesco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well said Jorge, I think we all have a particular look we prefer and that is the one we attempt to emulate. In this vein, it does not matter the medium - silver, gum, plt/pld - oil or water color. The point is, why not accept that others do not have to like the same format or media, at least there are still people out there using more than one part of their brain, and maybe something a little deeper.

Clay, having never seen a gum over platinum, but respect you and your work so will say nothing more than will have to get out and see one in person. My personal opinion is that Most photographic medium does something for me - dags/albumen/plt/sliver - I don't find one better than the other any more than I find any of the master photographers better than another...heck I still think a tin type is pretty neat..doesn't mean I want to go out and make some.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clay

This is all fine and well, but for those of us whose cones and rods work nothing beats a cross processed chrome printed on fujiflex.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can understand the passion one has for a favorite or particular process. For me I love the simplicity of working with silver but I have undertaken the goal of learning wet plate collodion in the next year. I think some truly stunning results are obtainable with different collodian mixtures combined with using modern lenses.

But every time I see a different type of work in person that is good I am simply blown away. Carbon, platinum, chrysotypes, Azo contacts, silver prints, etc. Truly the most stunning to me are orignal dags. The depth and sharpness are amazing. And their is something very "pure" about capturing the image on a polished mirror of pure silver.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin