Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,250   Online: 751

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Interview with Stanley Greene in NY Times (with photos)

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/07/22/shoptalk-7/

The man is definitely not a fan of digital

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Enjoyed the article, laughed more at the comments following the article. I think Mr. Greene is using a bit of hyperbole and people don't understand that. As well, he is trying to make a point about honesty and style in journalism and most commentors seem to be missing that; instead they are focusing on the $10k they laid out for camera gear and someone told them they still aren't real photographers.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks for the link, great interview. May have to get the book too.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I enjoyed it. Very interesting. Thanks.

Jeff

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Greene in the NYT
    "I think that we have no choice but to go back to shooting film because we have to get back to some kind of integrity. I think we are losing the moral code. And I think that in the end with film — yes, you can manipulate it and yes, you can change some things — there is still a moral code."
    Wow.

He's still sitting on a thousand rolls of Kodachrome? :o
    Pentax: 6x7 MLU
    Olympus: OM-1n
    Graflex: Miniature (2x3) Speed Graphic

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin