Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,771   Online: 824

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Hmmm... Very cool to have found a whole box of glass negatives, but I wonder... was Ansel really fond of crooked horizons? (I only mention, because judging from some of my prints, apparently I am... :rolleyes: )
    Uh... those negatives were hidden away in a wooden box and never saw the light of day for 50 years and were never published as prints precisely because of those crooked horizons. Ansel was a great guy and really smart but he was human and made mistakes.

This box was filled with his mistakes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    Uh... those negatives were hidden away in a wooden box and never saw the light of day for 50 years and were never published as prints precisely because of those crooked horizons. Ansel was a great guy and really smart but he was human and made mistakes.

This box was filled with his mistakes.
    I'll buy that. We all have more than a few negatives (or a few boxes full) we would never want to have shown as representative of our work. I'd venture to say, though that there are probably more crooked horizons made by the hordes who have followed the trail of tripod marks Ansel left in creating his masterpieces.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Maybe Virginia took the pictures. That would account for her handwriting and the crooked horizons.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Entertainment lawyers deal extensively with issues of copyright. I think that's exactly who I would turn to if I were in the purchaser's position.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Crooked horizons? I have only seen images that are "stills from a video" or in the newscast piece itself. Am I looking in the wrong place, or are people making judgments based on the video/stills - which were clearly shot without concern for the horizons?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    More interesting than the horizons is the concept that these images are worth a lot of money. Of course, they are worth whatever someone will pay, which is apparently a ton of bucks. Aren't plenty of Ansel negatives available for study (to proper researchers)? Adams shot A LOT. I would imagine thousands, maybe tens of thousands of his "slides" (as the newscast calls them) exist. And Ansel is no longer around to print them. I see it a little like finding Picasso's paints or perhaps marble Michaelangelo might have planned to sculpt. A painting or statue might be in them, but it will never be an original completed work by the master. Modern prints from people who worked closely with AA are available today and worth a lot less than a million dollars. I'm not discounting the value of the find (would love to have made it myself), but I don't understand the economics that would make it seven figures.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This is almost a great book. It reminds me of the stories of folks finding a lost master painters work in their attic. Of course the Adams family will be reserved on the matter. It's a loose thread of AA that they may not be able to control or profit from.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by billbretz View Post
    More interesting than the horizons is the concept that these images are worth a lot of money. Of course, they are worth whatever someone will pay, which is apparently a ton of bucks. Aren't plenty of Ansel negatives available for study (to proper researchers)? Adams shot A LOT. I would imagine thousands, maybe tens of thousands of his "slides" (as the newscast calls them) exist. And Ansel is no longer around to print them. I see it a little like finding Picasso's paints or perhaps marble Michaelangelo might have planned to sculpt. A painting or statue might be in them, but it will never be an original completed work by the master. Modern prints from people who worked closely with AA are available today and worth a lot less than a million dollars. I'm not discounting the value of the find (would love to have made it myself), but I don't understand the economics that would make it seven figures.
    AA's intentions were that his library of negatives would be shipped to the University of Arizona to be used in the department of photography. That never actually happened. The controllers of his Trust knew the value of the negatives.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaTom View Post
    Maybe Virginia took the pictures. That would account for her handwriting and the crooked horizons.
    She wasn't interested in photography as far as I've read in any of the AA biographical works or the auto-biography.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've seen some instances in which practically identical photos were taken by different photographers not only on different days but different years. Sometimes there's really only one obviously good vantage point.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin