Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,716   Posts: 1,514,771   Online: 824
      
Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 257
  1. #11
    SchwinnParamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,011
    Images
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Hmmm... Very cool to have found a whole box of glass negatives, but I wonder... was Ansel really fond of crooked horizons? (I only mention, because judging from some of my prints, apparently I am... :rolleyes: )
    Uh... those negatives were hidden away in a wooden box and never saw the light of day for 50 years and were never published as prints precisely because of those crooked horizons. Ansel was a great guy and really smart but he was human and made mistakes.

    This box was filled with his mistakes.

  2. #12
    Toffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Point Pelee, ON, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,785
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by SchwinnParamount View Post
    Uh... those negatives were hidden away in a wooden box and never saw the light of day for 50 years and were never published as prints precisely because of those crooked horizons. Ansel was a great guy and really smart but he was human and made mistakes.

    This box was filled with his mistakes.
    I'll buy that. We all have more than a few negatives (or a few boxes full) we would never want to have shown as representative of our work. I'd venture to say, though that there are probably more crooked horizons made by the hordes who have followed the trail of tripod marks Ansel left in creating his masterpieces.

    Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

    Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

    http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com


  3. #13
    AmandaTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Novato, California
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Posts
    69
    Maybe Virginia took the pictures. That would account for her handwriting and the crooked horizons.

  4. #14
    juan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    St. Simons Island, Georgia
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,637
    Images
    4
    Entertainment lawyers deal extensively with issues of copyright. I think that's exactly who I would turn to if I were in the purchaser's position.
    juan

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    235
    Crooked horizons? I have only seen images that are "stills from a video" or in the newscast piece itself. Am I looking in the wrong place, or are people making judgments based on the video/stills - which were clearly shot without concern for the horizons?

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    235
    More interesting than the horizons is the concept that these images are worth a lot of money. Of course, they are worth whatever someone will pay, which is apparently a ton of bucks. Aren't plenty of Ansel negatives available for study (to proper researchers)? Adams shot A LOT. I would imagine thousands, maybe tens of thousands of his "slides" (as the newscast calls them) exist. And Ansel is no longer around to print them. I see it a little like finding Picasso's paints or perhaps marble Michaelangelo might have planned to sculpt. A painting or statue might be in them, but it will never be an original completed work by the master. Modern prints from people who worked closely with AA are available today and worth a lot less than a million dollars. I'm not discounting the value of the find (would love to have made it myself), but I don't understand the economics that would make it seven figures.

  7. #17
    Robert Brummitt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,043
    Images
    78
    This is almost a great book. It reminds me of the stories of folks finding a lost master painters work in their attic. Of course the Adams family will be reserved on the matter. It's a loose thread of AA that they may not be able to control or profit from.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

  8. #18
    SchwinnParamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,011
    Images
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by billbretz View Post
    More interesting than the horizons is the concept that these images are worth a lot of money. Of course, they are worth whatever someone will pay, which is apparently a ton of bucks. Aren't plenty of Ansel negatives available for study (to proper researchers)? Adams shot A LOT. I would imagine thousands, maybe tens of thousands of his "slides" (as the newscast calls them) exist. And Ansel is no longer around to print them. I see it a little like finding Picasso's paints or perhaps marble Michaelangelo might have planned to sculpt. A painting or statue might be in them, but it will never be an original completed work by the master. Modern prints from people who worked closely with AA are available today and worth a lot less than a million dollars. I'm not discounting the value of the find (would love to have made it myself), but I don't understand the economics that would make it seven figures.
    AA's intentions were that his library of negatives would be shipped to the University of Arizona to be used in the department of photography. That never actually happened. The controllers of his Trust knew the value of the negatives.

  9. #19
    SchwinnParamount's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tacoma, WA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,011
    Images
    42
    Quote Originally Posted by AmandaTom View Post
    Maybe Virginia took the pictures. That would account for her handwriting and the crooked horizons.
    She wasn't interested in photography as far as I've read in any of the AA biographical works or the auto-biography.

  10. #20

    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    South Texas, USA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Posts
    1,885
    I've seen some instances in which practically identical photos were taken by different photographers not only on different days but different years. Sometimes there's really only one obviously good vantage point.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin