Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,923   Posts: 1,556,658   Online: 1253

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Sally Mann - London

I recently visited Londinium on a quick visit and took in Sally Mann's work at the fantastic Photographer's Gallery.
    Loved her older family work but "What remains" did not do it for me. My question is; the large prints at the entrance level - collodion /ambrotype work printed on what was said to be silver gelatin did look anything of the kind.
    Has anyone seen this? Wondering if I am mistaken.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Anyone who refers to Britain's capital by its old Roman name gets a high-five from me!

I only wish I could answer your question
    Michael Sebastian
    Website | Blog

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    She prints on Ilford Multigrade FB paper, then varnishes it.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Medium Format
    For anyone in London who would like an alternative look at Sally Mann's work, this Saturday has an ambient music evening which sounds interesting.
    Details here;
    http://www.photonet.org.uk/index.php?pvid=1193

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recall seeing a documentary about Sally Mann and the What Remains work, which showed her printing one or two of the pieces. I can't answer your question definitively, but my hazy memory is that they were, indeed, silver prints.

The documentary is worth watching. I think it's called "What Remains."

-Laura

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I have to admit that I struggled with many of the pictures in this exhibition. While her Immediate Family prints were mostly awesome, several seemed over-worked with intrusive dodging and burning (they seemed like 'rescued' prints where the negative contrast range was too high for normal use). I found the landscapes boring. I need to see her What Remains another time before I take a view on it.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    After watching the documentary several times (I show it to students) and looking at and reading about the work, I understand what she was trying to accomplish with What Remains, but I still don't like the imagery, nor am I moved by it. The movie talks a lot about what inspired the series and I find that part very interesting. Her Immediate Family work is very good and may always be considered her best work.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Not sure if they are showing any of the Proud Flesh work in this show, but I think it's a return to what she does best... photographing those closest and most important to her, and I think the work is stronger than anything she's done since Immediate Family. The pictures are made as wet plate collodion on clear glass so they are negatives, and then are printed onto gelatin silver paper. Not sure if the prints I saw last year were varnished or not, but I don't think they were. It seems to have a similar emotional content as the work with her children, and I was quite moved by it.

To Ian's point, I've seen some stunning prints of hers and some that looked like she was trying a little too hard to make something expressive of a not well exposed or developed negative. (I've seen a particularly bad print of The New Mothers which makes me think her negative kinda sucks!! Actually, it's a relief to know that even she may have had a few epic battles in the darkroom!!)

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I hadn't seen the Proud Flesh images before, though they show her exposing them in the documentary. It follows her husband's struggle with late onset muscular dystrophy. As with What Remains, it depends in part on the defects she gets in the plates in addition to the actual image. She has stated before that she hopes she doesn't perfect the process and eliminate the serendipitous quality.

I've seen only a handful of her prints in person, so I can't speak to the quality of her printing in general, just the 4 or 5 I saw at Art Basel Miami. They were stunning.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I greatly admire Sally Mann's work and although I would love to see the exhibition, a four hundred mile round trip is just is just too far to go.
    Ben

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin