Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,752   Posts: 1,515,870   Online: 1021

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by payral View Post
    Available on Amazon.com
    Yep, guess its been re-released. Cool!

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Which book about him can you recommend?
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    W. Eugene Smith: Shadow and Substance: The Life and Work of an American Photographer by Jim Hughes, published in 1989 by McGraw Hill and available used from several online booksellers. 600 pages of honest and extensively researched information about this complex and driven photographer. It's one of the best biographies of any photographer that I've read, far better than the film, Photography Made Difficult.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    Which book about him can you recommend?
    Aperture also put out a book called "W. Eugene Smith : His Photographs and Notes" which is good ... obviously more visual than biographical.

Just watched the movie again with my class - hah, it is a bit overdramatic but the interviews and such are interesting. I still love it for what it is.

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Thanks for the hints :-)

I found out that there is even a song about him:

http://www.paultiernan.com/lyrics/th...ugenesmith.htm
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Sub 35mm
    Images
    I like the props in the film. Very realistic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is also an interesting 4 part "The lost pictures of Eugene Smith" video that I linked in the APUG video section under "Photographers". First part here:

http://www.apug.org/forums/media.php?do=details&mid=83

Unfortunately, embedding is disabled now on the video (it wasn't), so you can no longer watch it directly from APUG, but you can still use the link to go to the proper YouTube video channel to watch it, because it is still there.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Jones View Post
    W. Eugene Smith: Shadow and Substance: The Life and Work of an American Photographer by Jim Hughes, published in 1989 by McGraw Hill and available used from several online booksellers. 600 pages of honest and extensively researched information about this complex and driven photographer. It's one of the best biographies of any photographer that I've read, far better than the film, Photography Made Difficult.
    Jim, thanks for that, I could purchase the book from an american online retailer, and it arrived a few days ago. Since that day I am reading... you are right, this is an amazing book. The only downside is, that it is a biography and does not contain many photos.

So, the next thing on my list is a book containing lots of photos... which do you guys think is a good choice and is printed well enough to show the beauty of Smith's often very dark photos?

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 5stringdeath View Post
    Aperture also put out a book called "W. Eugene Smith : His Photographs and Notes" which is good ... obviously more visual than biographical.
    Aperture prints nice books

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Aperature book on W. Eugene Smith contains a nice selection of his images; but it doesn't give a true flavor of his work which is the photo essay. Therefore, I'd suggest a book on a specific topic such as "Dream Street" that explores the topic of Pittsburgh in depth.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin