Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,087   Online: 879

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The passing of a legend, Herman Leonard...

Herman Leonard
    March 6, 1923 - August 14, 2010

What a legend...what a man. Bobby and I had the great fortune of meeting and spending some time with Herman while he lived in New Orleans. The time we did spend with him was priceless. We thank both he and Jenny Bagert for their generosity and thoughtfulness. Our best to his family and friends.

http://www.hermanleonard.com/

One of THE greatest Jazz Photographers ever. You will be missed, Herman.

Dorothy & Bobby Cooper-

Photo taken by my husband, Bobby Cooper, when Herman had an exhibit across the lake in our town of Covington, Louisiana, 2003.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    H Dorothy, nice to see you posting again, I've been a long time jazzo and have admired Mr Leonard s work for more than twenty year s, and I am very sorry to hear of his death. I saw a wonderful documentary on the TV in the UK last year about him , his work, and how the floods in New Orleans affected him.
    Ben

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's really sad news -his work was magical.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I hadn't realized he had apprenticed to Yousuf Karsh.

Here is a link to the story on the CBC's website:

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/artdesign/sto...tographer.html
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Nice piece about him, including some great photos, on ABC news last night!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He was a great photographer...through his pictures he showed how much he loved jazz! Photography is not just about recording , it is about conveying.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It is a huge loss, his work was brilliant:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-11000692
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He is legend for sure. RIP Herman.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Ben...yes, it's been awhile since I've been on Apug. I've missed it here!

As for Herman...we received an email on Sunday regarding his passing from his rep and manager in Los Angeles, Geraldine Baum. I had heard from her just a week or so prior, that Herman was not in the best of health (something he had always been in). He was always so outgoing, a vibrant man and full of energy!

We truly felt so honored and blessed to have known him. My husband was able to visit with him on a few occasions at his home in New Orleans (we lived about 45 minutes away at that time). On one visit in particular, Herman invited us to 'tour' his darkroom. Quite impressive, to say the least!

When Katrina struck, we made our move to North Carolina, Herman to Los Angeles. Our daughter was hoping to fly out for a photo session with Herman last year (she's a model) but she was never able to get out there.

Great loss to the photography world, jazz world and most importantly, to his family and friends. Great man indeed!! He will be missed.
    Last edited by Dorothy Blum Cooper; 08-17-2010 at 11:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin