Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,225   Posts: 1,532,668   Online: 803

Shooter
    Multi Format

James Welling rayographs/photograms

I have been doing some research recently on a photographer called James Welling and I would like to know how does he put the colour into them when making them through the enlarger? below is an example of what I mean. Hope someone can help.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2006WELJA0347.jpg  
    Minolta Autocord
    Shen Hao PTB

http://www.lewisrichards-photo.com

BA(Hons) Photographic Practice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Taking a WAG it looks like he contacts a B&W shadowgram negative to color paper, exposing it with colored light or with a color gel mask in the light path. Or it's digital...
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    this looks very much like a photograph on ilfochrome!!!
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If I had to guess then I would say they were bleached and toned with different toners after the photogram was produced.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Looks similar to the colour in the photograms of Adam Fuss. Like Mr Frizza said, I believe his work is cibachrome.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    from the mouth of the artist himself

"First I take Plumbago blooms, about 6-8 stalks to work with in a session, and in the dark, I take a sheet of 8×10 inch film out, put it under the enlarger, place a few flowers on the film and expose to light. Then I process the black and white negative and let it dry. I do about 6-8 at a go. I then contact print the negatives to see what they look like, and I cull the best ones and print them 37 × 46 inches using a color mural enlarger on Kodak Endura Metallic paper. In the first Flowers I made exposures using a filtration I knew would give me certain colors…red, green, orange, purple, indigo, yellow, blue. In the next group, 2005 Flowers, I used 2-3 filter combinations, shading parts of the paper and making second exposures with other filter sets…"
    "Its my profession to hijack time" ~ Stephen Frizza.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everybody, I really want to give this a go at some point soon when im in the darkroom
    Minolta Autocord
    Shen Hao PTB

http://www.lewisrichards-photo.com

BA(Hons) Photographic Practice

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin