Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,830   Online: 810

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just re-read his "The Decisive Moment" essay ( in Photographers on Photography ). Couple of quotes I like:
    To me, photography is the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as of a precise organization of forms which give that event its proper expression.
    And,
    During the process of enlarging, it is essential to re-create the values and mood of the time the picture was taken; or even to modify the print so as to bring it into line with the intentions of the photographer at the moment he shot it. It is necessary also to re-establish the balance which the eye is continually establishing between light and shadow. And it is for these reasons that the final act of creating in photography takes place in the darkroom.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by doughowk
    Just re-read his "The Decisive Moment" essay ( in Photographers on Photography ). Couple of quotes I like: ...the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as of a precise organization of forms which give that event its proper expression
    His ability to capture the moment, no small task, with such great composition, not a small task by itself, is/was what made him inspiring to me. That and the fact he had such a *great* attitude.

Quote Originally Posted by roy
    I love looking at his photographs - great humour.
    Humor? I always thought depressing, he always seemed to get to the underlying reality of a happy event.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Le roi est mort. Vive le roi! Et au revoir.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    He's was a great photographer and spawned many mini HCB's that we will get to enjoy for many years.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    We have lost another icon of our art, but he and his work will live on in print and his influences on many of us. A very sad day and may he rest in peace!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To me, photography is the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as of a precise organization of forms which give that event its proper expression.
    This quote defines how I think of him. A man who could capture the real essence of humanity that was so important to him.

and from Erwitt to Salgado. ..... any person that can influence so many photographers to be a great as these, is surely extraordinary.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's sad thing indeed. There is much to be learned form Henri Cartier Bresson's work...

It reminds me of another great french photographer, Pierre Fatumbi Verger (Fatumbi is an afro-Brasilian name he took up in Brazil).

Both men took photographs of life as they saw it, and both did it largely for their own purposes. Both used one camera their whole lives (Bresson a leica, Verger a Rolleiflex) and none were limited by it. Both photographed in the same period (from the 30's on), and in their way redefined photography (though Bresson is much more recognized than Verger). Both set standarts that few photographers meet.

Both passed away, largely inactive in photography throughout their late years.

Lot's to think about

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin