Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,485   Online: 1077

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Cartier-Bresson RIP

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3536724.stm

Henri Cartier-Bresson, one of the world's most important photographers, died at the age of 95 on Monday, news agencies reported on Wednesday.
    Friends said the photographer, who became known for his ground-breaking street photography, died in the southern town of l'Isle-sur-la-Sorgue.

He was buried in a private ceremony in the town, reports said.

The publicity-shy photographer was a founding member of the Magnum picture agency in 1947.

Regarded as one of the pioneers of photojournalism, his pictures now hang in art galleries around the world.

Friend and fellow photographer, Lord Snowdon, paid tribute to him on Wednesday.

"He was brilliant, I will miss him very much," he told BBC News 24.

"I don't think he'd like his work to be called art, he would like to be remembered as an anonymous figure. His books record moments that can't be captured again."

Born in 1908 in Chanteloup, near Paris, Cartier-Bresson initially studied art before taking to photography in the 1930s.

He helped transform what had been regarded as little more than a gentlemanly hobby into a bona fide profession.

He also coined the phrase "decisive moment" in photography, referring to the split second of timing that helped transform a picture into an iconic image.

He called it "the simultaneous recognition, in a fraction of a second, of the significance of an event as well as the precise organisation of forms which give that event its proper expression".

He was a student of Surrealist art before becoming interested in photography. In 1931 he moved to Africa, where he lived as a hunter for a year.

On his return to Paris he revolutionised street photography with his images taken with the Leica rangefinder, the first 35mm camera.

He worked across Europe, but in 1940 was imprisoned by the Germans after the occupation of France. He escaped three years later and witnessed the liberation of Paris.

In 1947 he set up the Magnum agency with two other ground-breaking photojournalists, Robert Capa and David Seymour.

The agency forged a name for hard-hitting news photography. Cartier-Bresson covered Mao Tse-Tung's victory in China and the death of peace activist Mahatma Gandhi in India.

Celebrities who sat for him included artist Henri Matisse, singer Edith Piaf and the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He certainly was a great master of photography.
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    R.I.P. Henri.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    HCB was truly one of the greatest. Very few photographers are recognized by the general public for their work but he is one of them. And his influence on the medium can easily be measured by the number of other greats who list him as one of their biggest influences.

Thanks Henri for sharing your heart, passion and skill.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    He has inspired my work more than any other photographer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by geraldatwork
    He has inspired my work more than any other photographer.
    ditto
    It is a sad day

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He lived to 95, the world got a bonus of him! He's earned his rest, let us not lament his passing but celebrate his life! He did wonderful things for all of us, brought new ideas to life and changed the world in his own fashion. I for one am grateful for all he did and all that he inspired.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    He was one of the greats.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think that's the right way to look at it, Gary. Still it's always sad when any great man dies. Even if his most productive years are past, a continuity to that greatness is broken.

Oops, make that man/woman, his/her etc...

roy
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I love looking at his photographs - great humour.
    Roy Groombridge.

Cogito, ergo sum.
    (Descartes)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin