Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,249   Online: 986

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perkeleellinen View Post
    Hello Carl, are you "Mike 1980" on the Pentax Forums and "John242" over at dpreview?
    Gear: Camera, Brain, Light.
    Website - FB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Amen Sirius. I would love to say I can support my lavish(?) life style through my photo skills. Unfortunately I have a couple of bad habits that I've picked up over the years. Eating is a big one, Oh, and having a roof over my head is another. I'm lucky enough to have a pretty decent job with health benefits, and a retirement plan. The "starving artist" thing sounds so romantic, but in reality, it kind of sucks. Keep shooting, and keep networking. Set up a website, and get some cheap buisiness cards made. The sales I've made, and he few shows I've done have all been the product of those things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesgignac View Post
    Uh...I'll try my best to respond:

Work hard. Love your work. Learn your trade. Expect to finance yourself for a long time. Continue working hard.

I've never tried to sell anything online or gain a profit through internet advertising and I would recommend that you keep in mind that nothing comes easy. The main thing you must keep in mind is that if you want to have your own business you have to think less about yourself and more about your clients - if you cannot add anything of worth to the world you will not profit from it for long - period. If you want a quick couple of bucks then go for your internet scheme.

I've run my own photography business and it's a tough gig - if you're serious about photography you have to network constantly so the internet is somewhat useful for that but meeting face to face and establishing relationships is the only way to really succeed. Gimmicks only work on fools and usually only once or twice (depending on the caliber of the fool.)

I don't know if you're just here for a quick answer or if you're actually serious about photography. My hope is the latter but my suspicion is the former.

Good luck out there.
    Short, clear and beautiful advice

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Short, clear and beautiful advice
    Aww, thanks darko - it's a damn shame he'll never read it since I didn't mention a $$/click ratio in there.

Honestly, Carl86: if you come back and read these responses please let us know - also please know that I'm sure you will genuinely be welcomed here for reals if you're actually into film photography and not just raking in the pennies.
    -dereck|james|gignac
    dereckjamesgignac.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Since this thread has taken on a life of its own, even though it started as spam, I deleted the spam link from the initial post. Feel free to talk about things other than spam.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the advice about hard work is what should be taken to heart the most. If you work hard enough, you will do well. If you work hard and then fail, you keep working until you dont fail. While it seems simplistic and idealistic, you wont get anything of substance done without hard work, no matter what field you're in.

Following in second would be learning how to give and take criticism well - that part is more relevant to photography. I'm still working on that one, but experience helps.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    Feel free to talk about things other than spam.
    Not even with baked beans and eggs? Awwww
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In more than fifty years my photography has cost me much more in money terms than I have ever earned from it, and I have had to resign myself to the fact that I will never be able to keep my wife in the manner that she would like to be accustomed to.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I have had to resign myself to the fact that I will never be able to keep my wife in the manner that she would like to be accustomed to.
    Amen to that, brother!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I take on commissions to do photos for community theatre productions. It makes no profit, but it does force me to take photos to someone else's schedule, which is sometimes useful when I have fallen into a funk. Typically one or two 3 hour sessions at the theatre, and then two nights in the darkroom.

Front of house is usually 8-35 black and white portraits. At the low end of that number I will print traditional 5x7's or 8x10's. The higher end number is usually done hybrid or D, with someone else printing the output, which can run to 16x20 prints (that group has a large lobby).

The company photograph is taken on the night of dress rehearsal, and typically I print 30-40 8x10's or 11x14 in RA-4.

These gigs tend to pay $180-300.

The biggest reason for taking these jobs on is that I frequently get great leads on outgoing people who are receptive to modeling requests after the show closes.
    my real name, imagine that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin