Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,283   Posts: 1,534,964   Online: 979

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Holy Grail?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The Holy Grail?

I picked up an old issue of Aperture from '96 or '98 that featured a photographer I had not heard of by the name of Manuel Alvarez Bravo. I was more than just a little impressed with his images. If anyone else isn't familiar with his work I would suggest looking him up. Aperture magazine still have copies fro back order of his for about $20.00, and well worth the price. The printing is done in Italy and the whole magazine is devoted to him with lots of great prints. I bought another copy. Would love to hear other comments about his work. Powerful stuff!!!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes! Bravo is an iconic figure in Mexican photography and unfortunately not one of those who gets appreciated often enough. Great website here to follow how his work has evolved over the years. http://www.manuelalvarezbravo.org

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you want to see some of his work in person, take a trip up to New York and visit the Throckmorton gallery - they specialize in 20th century Latin American photographers and usually have some of his prints on hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very eye opening RPippin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I was a subscriber back then and I learned of him through that same issue (#147).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I enjoy his work!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MaximusM3 View Post
    Yes! Bravo is an iconic figure in Mexican photography and unfortunately not one of those who gets appreciated often enough. Great website here to follow how his work has evolved over the years. http://www.manuelalvarezbravo.org
    Actually, I see little development, or maybe better said change, in his work over the years... I think he found his own personal style early on and stuck with it throughout most of his life time. Nothing wrong with that by the way , and I enjoyed watching it.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Actually, I see little development, or maybe better said change, in his work over the years... I think he found his own personal style early on and stuck with it throughout most of his life time. Nothing wrong with that by the way , and I enjoyed watching it.
    I thought the same thing. I'm familiar with his work but I've never seen a chronological breakdown of it. I was expecting to see stylistic changes also as well as reflecting changing technology. Nope. It's obviously a conscious decision. I would like to hear his comments about this if any exist.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can order the magazine from Aperture for about $20.00, and well worth it. The insights into his work and life are articulated very well in this. The prints are also top shelf. Sometimes doing one thing masterfully can take a lifetime. There is so much more to his work than technique and style. For me, he seems to capture the very soul of the vision he had before he fired the shutter. I don't want to get to mental about his work, they are moving and haunting to me. It gave me goose bumps when I saw the images, and I kept them by my bed to look at them when I woke up to see if they still had such a forceful impact. They did. I truly have not looked at my work or anyone else work quite the same since.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco B View Post
    Yes, Marco, I guess "change" is the more appropriate word. He certainly did retain his style.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin