Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,256   Posts: 1,660,459   Online: 976

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    His work is more subtle than some may like - few iconic images. His still lifes feel somewhat contrived, and they contradict the intuitive nature of his other work. But I would gladly trade many of my books of better known photographers for a couple of his works. Even his outtakes as in View Camera surpass most of what I've seen by many other master photographers. His printing skills are outstanding, and his best work grabs me just as it must have grabbed him. I also like his attitude towards photography (see, for example, the interview at his son's website).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Wow, is the the same issue currently out? The special issue?

The folks over at Large Format photography Forum were raving about this issue. Some were thinking of asking Mr. Simmons back into the forum. I haven't seen the issue. I do like some work from Mr Caponigro. I've seen prints when there was a show in San Francisco.
    I'll have to walk over to my local bookstore and buy a copy and see why the difference of opinions between Apug members and the LF forum.
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit"
    Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Henderson View Post
    If nothing else, the text editing in this issue cannot be faulted!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Brummitt View Post
    The folks over at Large Format photography Forum were raving about this issue. Some were thinking of asking Mr. Simmons back into the forum. I haven't seen the issue. I do like some work from Mr Caponigro. I've seen prints when there was a show in San Francisco.
    I'll have to walk over to my local bookstore and buy a copy and see why the difference of opinions between Apug members and the LF forum.
    I believe only one person suggested inviting Steve back to the LFPF, and I answered that on the forum.

I first met and photographed with Paul during a visit to Boston in 1959. We were both early in our careers and I sensed at the time that he was on his way to great acceptance in the world of photography. We traded prints, and his Hartford Wall, 1959, print still graces my entry hall.

There is no doubt that Paul has always been an excellent printer, certainly contributing to his success, and has the ability to speak to a large audience with his vision. We all have our personal tastes and mine is more in the abstract vein. This is the reason I gave the current View Camera portfolio a thumbs up, as it included his early work from the 1950's and 1960's which supported his fresh and somewhat abstract vision.

It would be unlikely to appreciate all of the work done by a photographer over a sixty-year career. Paul is no exception, and from a personal perspective, I am a fan of a small percentage of his total production. However, in saying that, there are images that only Paul Caponigro could have made. The same can be said of other photgraphic masters that we admire; only they could have done it.

So, like his work or not, that is what art appreciation is about.

Good health Paul, and thank you Steve Simmons for publishing, and Eleanor Caponigro for designing this little gem of a portfolio.

www.mergross.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Paul Caponigro is one of my favourite artists, can't understand how is quality is questioned, maybe based on a different selection of his work not so widely known?

Get some of his books and then maybe your perception about his work changes radically.

Caponigro has trully master caliber work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to have a tough time even finding Caponigro's work beyond the running deer image, until I bought a book of his photographs. I really like a good many of them, especially because he photographed where he lived, and what he knew well...no majestic western icons or the like. What I liked less well are the still lifes that just seem to be a set of enjoyable photographs he made when schlepping the camera around outside wasn't a good idea for whatever reason. I've not yet seen VC, (the most recent edition I've come across was at a Borders in NYC last weekend, and that was the July August edition), but I look forward to finding it eventually.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Large Format
    Paul Caponigro is one of my favorites, enough so that I've paid big $$$ to buy a couple of his prints. His work tends toward quiet and soft, not big and bold. I haven't seen that issue of the magazine, but if you can see some real prints. Personal taste (should!) always be a big part of art (I've never really enjoyed Diane Arbus), but seeing a real Paul Caponigro print will bring a big smile to most fine art photography lover's faces.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Decades ago I signed up for a photography course. "Easy credit", I thought. I came across an Apeture monograph of Paul Caponigro's work. I wept over the photos and went back and studied them many times. I spent so much time hanging around the darkroom, that I flunked half my courses. Photography has waned and waxed over the decades, as I raised a family, and explored other passions, but I'd say those images of Caponigro's remain hugely influential for me.
    I'd love to see his work in the flesh and I'll keep an eye out for the magazine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It is unfortunate that we all can't see more actual prints. Reproductions, no matter how good, are not really the same. I was not that familiar with Caponigro, but when in London a few years ago, Les McLean (no slouch as a printer himself) all but insisted I go to the Victoria and Albert and ask to see his (Caponigro's) Stonehenge portfolio. Les was of the opinion that they would be among the best B&W prints I would ever see. Les was correct! Just one man's experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin