Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,613   Online: 802

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Caponigro archives/View Camera Magazine

I'll probably get blasted for photographic heresy, but is anyone else unimpressed with the portfolio of images in the latest issue of View Camera devoted entirely to Paul Caponigro?

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    He's never been my cup of tea. Why would that be heresy? It's just personal taste.

-Laura

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Everyone to their own taste but if you have seen some of his actual prints up close and personal they are beautiful. They should be viewed with the perspective of when they were made and what was considered the "style" of the time.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I haven't seen it. I like his books for woods/shore photos, but I've never been too impressed (personal taste) with what he's been famous for (chief among them images like the herd of deer running).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never been a fan of his work in general, but I've been able to appreciate some of it, or at least recognize what is good about it even if it's not my taste. However when looking at the images in this issue of View Camera (I think most or all of them have not been published before), I'm having trouble even appreciating them in any context. I'm not just talking about the more abstract or experimental impages. Even the landscapes seem thoroughly ordinary. There were only one or two out of 50+ pictures I thought were interesting at all.

Michael

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lns View Post
    He's never been my cup of tea. Why would that be heresy? It's just personal taste.

-Laura
    I thought of it more as heresy because for me this went beyond taste. Whenever I look at artwork by people who are generally regarded as masters (regardless of medium), I try to react in two different ways. First, do I like it (my taste), second, can I appreciate it as something special, important etc on a more objective level regardless of my own taste, even if it is just something great about the skill or craft involved (for example, being able to see how to someone interested in the particular subject matter or style, it would be a great piece). Sometimes I can reconcile it, but there are other times I think to myself "even if I liked this type of thing I can't see what is particularly well done or special about it". That's how I felt when going through the Caponigro images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've not had a chance to look through the magazine properly yet but would agree that there is a difference between taste and various more objective considerations.

Tom

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I purchased the magazine the other day and I am still working my way through the pictures. I thoroughly enjoy some, others not as much. Some I find inspirational.

If nothing else, the text editing in this issue cannot be faulted!

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wasn't too impressed with the print quality - looked like bad copies from a Xerox.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    After a lifetime of taking and making photos does anyone here think that the world is going to like all or the mass of your creations...art is subjective..
    Paul Caponigro is a recognized master of the craft...go and see his work in person and it might change your opinion
    artists do what they do because they believe in it...Paul has been doing it for what? maybe 50 years now?
    Best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin