Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,955   Posts: 1,586,017   Online: 669

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

The Quality of work in the APUG Galleries

I have just looked through my faovrites in the APUG gallery. I don't have many. It really has to captivate me for a long time. I find that I, as in my own subject matter, prefer landscapes and detail in nature/architecture. And as I look upon these photographs I see that there is some awesome quality in the work, a lot of love, sweat and determination put into these labours of love.

Tomb and Old Wooden Church by walter23

John's Pond by djkloss

Mission San Jose - Cross by scootermm

Arch by timd

Gibson's Steps by Kevin Caulfield

I wish I could have popped in small images, you'll have to take the time to view them. But these are a smattering of the talent representative of APUG photographers. And it shows the love and attention to detail that we, as a whole, try to put into every facet of our photography, from choosing gear to exposure to procssing to printing to presentation.

I am truly blessed to be amongst such great company. I just wanted to share that and thank all of you who contribute to making APUG such a pleasant experience everytime I log on.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You're right, the talent pool that is APUG is beyond compare. Like I've said many times before, there should be a magazine....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It would most certainly have to be a collective effort. But there would be plenty of subject matter, both textual and visual.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    How about an annual review (like the BJP Annual) as a POD? Photocentric (Sean) would need to be the publisher and supervise the effort, but non-monetary inducements could be engineered for the contributors/editors.

Could feature:
    -print & postcard exchanges (if permission is granted).
    -one or two portfolio review/retrospectives, if possible.
    -roundup of new things (ektar, MCC, fuji 67 folder, WBM book, etc, etc.)
    -report on any traveling cameras
    -lots of other stuff...

For the photo section, the lith, alt, blind, & postcard exchange organizers would receive one extra print of everything in consideration of preparing their section, or some similar inducement. Those with experience as editors could help the exchange organizers. (If people don't want their prints included in the annual, they don't send one to the exchange organizer.) Something like that.
    Considerably AWOL at the present time...

Archive/Blog: http://davidwilliamwhite.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Photocentric would probably not take on a regular publication, electronic or otherwise. To an extent, that's what APUG already is. And a damn good one at that. It would by necesity have to be a seperate person/entity working in conjunction with Sean, et al.

I'll wait for the "It'll never work"'s before I will offer to contribute.
    Last edited by Christopher Walrath; 11-21-2010 at 06:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    There was Emulsion, which was done in a similar fashion as described above. Having gone through things like magazines or conferences, I am more inclined to stay in my comfort zone of just trying to make the forum community as good as it can be. I'm spread so thin as it is, to take anything else on isn't really possible. If someone wants to do it, I could sign off on it but have become weary of such projects due to issues in the past. They all sound great on paper, usually start off with an explosion of high energy and dedication, then go sideways.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It'll Never Work....

Seriously, the forum I run (but never mention here, because it is 99.99% digital, but if you care - www.catchfencephotos.net - Motor Sport Photography Forums) do a year book each year. Yes, it is one of those blurb deals, but all that is required is someone to collate/construct the book and then people can buy it direct. Obviously, there would be the ethical dilemma of "Hybrid" to deal with, to make it happen...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Chris, thanks so much for the nice comments about the photos.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As I said, there are many, Kev. Yours is merely one that caught my eye.

President of the Mutual Back Patter's Association
    Thank you.
    CWalrath

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm astounded by some of Daniel Lin's work. These images in particular blow me away and I'm constantly coming back to them.
    He definitely needs some recognition. I would certainly buy a publication of his work, in an instant.

http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...atid=favorites

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin