Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,322   Online: 993

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Let me add a few more. Harry Callahan started using mostly large format 8x10 then moved to medium and then mostly 35mm in his later years. Robert Adams uses all formats from 35mm, 6x6,6x7 and 4x5. I saw him using what looks to be a Fuji 6x7 in a You Tube video. Of course Ralph Gibson with his Leicas.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Nicholas Nixon used/uses an 8x10 and 11x14 Deardorff.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Large Format
    Brett Weston used many cameras and formats over his seven decade career. The majority of his work from the 1930's to 1970 was with a wooden Agfa 8x10 or a Calumet C-1. The Calumet was a gift from Calumet along with a couple of lenses. He used an 11x14 camera off and on from the mid 1940's to mid 1950's.

His first medium format work was with a Mamiyaflex, which was replaced in the late 1960's with a Rollei SL66 and he later used a RB67. He had, but rarely used, a 5x7 Linhof and late in his career used an 8x10 Nagaoka.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How far back are we referring to as the "masters"?
    Michaelangelo used a pinhole camera in the Tower of Winds to tell the time, among other novel uses.
    To my knowledge, Ansel Adams used 35mm quite a lot, it just did not feature as prominently in his deep application of the Zone System which concentrated on sheet film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    George Tice uses (used?) a Deardorff 8x10, among others I would guess.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Keith Carter's health? What health problem?
    Steve
    www.scdowellphoto.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I don't know, I remember reading an interview where he made that statement, but I don't know where or when I read it. It may have been as simple as an allergy to developer. And I could be completely incorrect.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Davis View Post
    Lee Friedlander likes his Hasselblad Super Wide. William Eggleston uses a Graflex Press camera with a roll film back.
    Lee Friedlander might like it, but it is definitely not the camera used for his most noted (and I would argue best) work. That was on 35mm, and from the reflections in some of the pix, my guess is a Leica M, though it could be any rangefinder camera of similar design. I've seen pix of Eggleston with one of the Mamiya Press cameras as well (not sure which model, but it was either a Super 23 or Universal, and not a Standard).

I don't really associate a certain camera with any of my personal favorites. However, when I look at them and think about it, most used Leica Ms or the like (Haas, Friedlander, Winogrand, though Haas used a Leicaflex as well). It is interesting, because I do not favor rangefinders in most cases for my own pix. I guess I kind of associate a Rollei with Avedon, though I don't consider him one of my favorites, and I know he shot 8x10 as well. But for the most part, I don't have much idea exactly what cameras my favorite shooters used.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Barry Thornton used a Rollei SL66 mostly. He also used 35mm and 4x5 now and then.

Larry

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    You're right it is the Mamiya. I had it switched in my mind. You can see him use it in the documentary "William Eggelston in the Real World" along with a 35mm and digital Leica.

Ralph Eugene Meatyard used a Rollieflex.
    Last edited by Greg Davis; 12-10-2010 at 11:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin