Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,051   Posts: 1,561,164   Online: 828

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

"For Now", Eggleston's new book

I'm just coming out of the first quick walk-through of Eggleston's new book, and I must say I'm impressed. In "For Now", he shows a more documentary approach than in his previous books. Many pictures portray his wife, his friends and acquaintances in a non-formal way. The choice of colors and their balance is exquisite as always.
    Have you seen it yet? What do you feel about it?
    Last edited by phaedrus; 01-01-2011 at 07:37 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    It is on my wish list. Thanks for the quick review. It encourages me further to get a copy soon.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got this book for Christmas and love it.

It seems that the photos were selected from Eggleston's unpublished work. It's like an album of outtakes, in a way. But the quality of the work is superlative, and though disparate the pictures end up creating a fascinating collection, or maybe a kind of story. The guy who made the selections* has a great eye. And of course so does Eggleston.

Ironically, this is the first Eggleston book or exhibition -- and I've seen a lot -- that gave me a hint of the man himself. Ironic because he didn't choose to publish these pictures himself. He doesn't even seem to have been very involved in it. The book contains outstanding, and blessedly brief, essays as well. It's a physically large book, with excellent printing quality. I think it's clear how much care was taken putting it together.

I don't think this is the book for those unfamiliar with his work, but those who are fans should appreciate it. In truth, I was more excited after reading this book than after seeing his giant retrospective exhibit and catalogue at the Art Institute of Chicago last year. The Art Institute show had all the great pieces, and was an amazing effort to present a career retrospective. But there were no real surprises. This was more relevatory, like finding a box of notebooks in the attic.

-Laura

*He deserves credit, so I looked up his name: William Almereyda. He made a documentary about Eggleston that now I have to watch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    An exhibition of his work is coming to Nashville in a few weeks. I look forward to seeing it.

http://www.fristcenter.org/site/exhi...l.aspx?cid=887

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin