Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,229   Posts: 1,532,858   Online: 998

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images

Cartier-Bresson sproket hole encroachment

Just wondering if anyone knew which camera Bresson was using that sometimes caused the sprocket holes to encroach into his image area. I've recently been looking through a huge anthology of his work and really didn't notice this before, and its not in a whole lot of images.

Here's an example, at the bottom of the frame:

ps: sorry i spelled "sprocket" wrong :P

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cartier-Bresson almost always used a Leica and regularly had his printers make the print with the film rebate showing. But I've never seen an HCB print with the sprocket holes encroaching on the image area. Are those actually sprocket holes in the lower right? Sometimes, light leaks in to the frame area via the sprocket holes, but that would cause more density on the negative, not less.

I'd like to see a larger example of this photograph as well as another example of it, to compare...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 5stringdeath View Post
    Just wondering if anyone knew which camera Bresson was using that sometimes caused the sprocket holes to encroach into his image area. I've recently been looking through a huge anthology of his work and really didn't notice this before, and its not in a whole lot of images.

Here's an example, at the bottom of the frame:

ps: sorry i spelled "sprocket" wrong :P
    That was relatively common with the old screw mount Leicas.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    Cartier-Bresson almost always used a Leica and regularly had his printers make the print with the film rebate showing. But I've never seen an HCB print with the sprocket holes encroaching on the image area. Are those actually sprocket holes in the lower right? Sometimes, light leaks in to the frame area via the sprocket holes, but that would cause more density on the negative, not less.

I'd like to see a larger example of this photograph as well as another example of it, to compare...
    The book I'm looking at is "The Man, The Image, The World" it a restrospective of his work. There are actually a bunch of photos like this .. and yes, the holes are IN the image area, its not light leaks.

Surprised me too because most of the prints I've seen before (and I own a few of the smaller books of his) don't include any prints like this.

Doing a quick scan in the book, it seems to be roughly 1946-1948 dated images, with some exceptions, and not every image from that period has it.

Interesting!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting indeed! Thanks for pointing this out...and thanks to Mark for that bit of info.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Happened fairly often when shooting with my IIIa and IIIc. If I took the time to properly load the film with a business card or by taking the lens off, it was easy to get the film all the way down in to the channel that runs along the film gate; the cassette also followed the film, and ended up a few mm short of being properly seated. If I was changing rolls quickly, it was harder to get the film seated perfectly, and the sprocket holes ended up in the image just a little bit.

It wouldn't have been a problem if I had bothered to properly trim my film leaders to make bottom loading easier. It's possible that the use of Leitz cassettes may help as well.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin