Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,712   Online: 845

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    cmo
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well, my friend has official sources for other quotes, she has a scientific background and wants to make everything look perfect. A dispute about a 'quote culture' is unneccessary.

There are many examples for quotes that were misattributed. For example. Stalin's best-known cynical words:

"The death of one man is a tragedy, the death of millions is a statistic."

Unfortunately for millions of human beings he walked the talk he never said. There is absolutely no proof that he ever said that.

Same dictator, other example:

Death solves all problems — no man, no problem.

This actually comes from the novel Children of the Arbat (1987) by Anatoly Rybakov. In his later book The Novel of Memories (In Russian) Rybakov has admitted that he made the quotation up.

(And to be exact, these examples were stolen by me, from Wikipedia.

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Josef_Stalin
    The future belongs to the few of us still willing to get our hands smell like fixing bath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmo View Post
    Well, my friend has official sources for other quotes, she has a scientific background and wants to make everything look perfect. A dispute about a 'quote culture' is unneccessary.
    I don't think there's any particular cultural differences whenn it comes to quotes.

it's more what you're used to, and anyone with a higher education would be familiar with having to attribute a quote to the primary source, which is why your friend would like to know the origin of the two quotes you've mentioned.

My earlier comments where based on a book that uses some unverifiable quotes which were the basis for subsequent text, which is quite different.

Ralph rightly asked whether the knowing the original source for these particular quotes was necessary, but that's really dependant on their context in the book, and whether the sources for other quotes are stated, which you indicate is the case.

If the original sources can't be found then it would be normal to say that the Quotes are said to be attributed to the person in question.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    yes but cmo and his friends aren't uneducated Americans
    It is amazing to see an allegedly "educated" person make such an ignorant comment.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Yes, putting an emoticon after a regrettable remark doesn't remove the sting -- or the evident intent.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trask View Post
    Yes, putting an emoticon after a regrettable remark doesn't remove the sting -- or the evident intent.
    Agreed. The thing that amazes me is that just because you repeatedly post and regurgitate some information that you have gleaned from your many Roger Hicks books, doesn't make you seem any more educated than the next person.
    Kick his ass, Sea Bass!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin