Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,775   Online: 1042

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

What kind of photographer do you consider yourself?

All,

I've been on here a month or so, and while I think I have gotten a general feel for the type of photography you are doing, I do have a couple of questions. What type of photographer do your consider yourself, and does your current (or posted) work reflect that consideration? One of the reasons I ask, is sometimes I get the impression that most forum members work primarily with B&W, while I work mainly in color.

As for my answers. I consider myself strictly a "landscape" photographer. I don't do people, I've never been good at it, and I am not comfortable with it. I love the tones and color of light, and I have found over the years that I tend to shoot either very early or very late in day; I also love inclement weather types (as if we get a lot in Hawaii). I love the ocean, I love the mountains and I love the desert.

What do you think? What type of photographer do you consider yourself?
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I was a publisher and commercial photographer for about 20 years. Now I am an artist.

Shooter
    Large Format
    An amateur with pretensions of being more. B&W primarily of landscape & rural architecture.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    roteague

My heart is primarily in Monochrome for my personal work, focussing on Landscapes and more recently abstracts/extracts. I can appreciate colour work by others but feel monochrome is more expressive formy chosen fields

Phill
    It is not tradition that secures the survival of our craft, its the craft that secures the survival of our traditions.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm a passionate hobbyist/amatuer color nature photographer that occassionally takes a brave step into the realm of black and white. I like railroad tracks and bridges as long as they border on nature. My son is the only person I shoot. I do a lot of test shots that have nothing to do with nature though - all part of the learning process.

I live in the middle of the prairie and as such shoot all things related to the prairie.

Images
    I look for light. Not just any old light, but the good stuff. At that point, whether it's falling on an old shack, an old growth forest, an antique car, or a person is secondary.

I love decay; texture; the patina of age. I like the luminosity that rock can get, when it shows that it really is a living thing. Big, old trees that have that "I'm right here" presence.

Whatever will hang on the wall and glow.

I'm not sure that answers the question.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Images
    I do color and BW. Mostly landscape and intimate landscape with the LF cameras. The MF camera comes out around people I care about and landscapes. I am playing more with BW in large format because it is too damn expensive to buy 5x7 color film. I have just gotten a 4x5 monorail to replace my presss camera, and it is almost leaf changing season so color will dominate my shots for a while with the occasional BW. I find I switch between the two a lot and that might be what is stifling my BW learning. Like you I love the color and tones of light. Being in the desert SW I am bombarded daily with beautiful light. Looking out the window right now makes me mad that I am still at work.

I don't post because I don't have a scanner. When the opportunity arises for me to use a scanner I am usually chomping at the bit to go take pictures or play with the kid and his mom. Someday I will get something up.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Robert,

Excellent question! It's funny that when we seek to define what type of photographer we are, we all end up describing the things we like to photograph.... It's kind of like defining what kind of driver you are by the type of vehicle you drive!

I'm a "trying to learn how to get what I'm seeing into the camera and onto the paper" photographer. I know what I WANT to say in a photograph, but I do not always manage to convey it properly... with time, this may happen. It's kind of like juggling!

I love photography and I started out loving color photography and not really understanding what the big 'hooha' was about B&W. But now, I find that while I can appreciate a good color photo (like yours Robert), I tend to see things in terms of light, shadow, texture and pattern.

So, I guess I'd have to define myself as an emerging, evolving photographer-in-training.
    Jeanette
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Breathing, until that stops everything else is everchanging.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    don't really have a label ... maybe a working photographer?

Page 1 of 12 123456711 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin