Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,721   Online: 800

Shooter
    Medium Format

Analog Exhibition in London (Richard Nicholson)

Hello

Quick note to alert Londoners and visitors that Richard Nicholson's exhibition of darkrooms is on in central London again at the Riflemaker's Gallery till 5th March.
    http://www.riflemaker.org/s-now

Video on the Guardian website of Roy Snell's darkroom.
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesi...darkroom-video

While I love the work, (and I admit to having my darkroom in the show), it's a bit of a downer for us printers. The opening felt a bit like a wake!

I've been everywhere ooooohhh yeaahhhh still I'm standing tall.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry to hear that last bit Mike....heard about the show on radio 3 and it sounded really interesting.
    "He took to writing poetry and visiting the elves: and though many shook their heads and touched their foreheads and said 'Poor old Baggins!' and though few believed any of his tales, he remained very happy till the end of his days, and those were extraordinarily long "- JRR Tolkien, ' The Hobbit '.

Shooter
    35mm
    fantastic, shall be seeing this monday! cheers for the heads up

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Crawford View Post

While I love the work, (and I admit to having my darkroom in the show), it's a bit of a downer for us printers. The opening felt a bit like a wake!
    From http://www.riflemaker.org/s-now : "In Summer 2006, when photographer Richard Nicholson began to shoot images of professional darkrooms in and around London, some 204 were still in existence, continuing the printing of image from film-stock to paper within the new digital era. When he completed the project some three years later, only 6 remained."

I wonder what the figure stands at now.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Richard Nicholson's work seems extremely negative. He has only taken one aspect of the analogue photography zeitgeist and then makes projections along the easy lines of "analogue is dying". His own comment about Photoshop being a superior printmaking tool is odd as well; after all working in Photoshop and working in the darkroom is not mutually exclusive or even a good logical comparison.

Tom

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AdClem View Post
    From http://www.riflemaker.org/s-now : "In Summer 2006, when photographer Richard Nicholson began to shoot images of professional darkrooms in and around London, some 204 were still in existence, continuing the printing of image from film-stock to paper within the new digital era. When he completed the project some three years later, only 6 remained."

I wonder what the figure stands at now.
    I personally don't think the gallery PR can have done any research to come up with this figure. I can think of over 20 professional darkrooms still in London either printing colour, b/w or both. That includes the bigger labs down to one man bands like myself.
    Last edited by Mike Crawford; 02-03-2011 at 08:15 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Not to mention in the colonies , where we are still cranking out prints.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Crawford View Post
    I personally don't thing the gallery PR can have done any research to come up with this figure. I can think of over 20 professional darkrooms still in London either printing colour, b/w or both. That includes the bigger labs down to one man bands like myself.

Shooter
    35mm
    I wish i was in London.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin