Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,008   Online: 731

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    William Mortensen was in Hollywood, and did portraits, though he did a lot more than just portraits of stars. Though he has a pretty famous picture of Jean Harlow.

His book "Pictorial Lighting" is a very interesting read and provides a pretty interesting, simple & logical method for lighting. He only uses 2 lights but can do a whole lot. I'd seriously recommend it; although some people don't like his work mostly thanks to slander from A. Adams, but don't let that dissuade you.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Mortensen also wrote useful books on modeling, although illustrated in his occasionally grotesque style. He was also a painter, and couldn't resist manipulating some photos almost beyond recognition. No wonder Adams and Weston shunned him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree Jim, but one could look at those manipulations as his greatest feat. Certainly, he was not a fan of f/64, photo-realism; but I personally enjoy painting, drawing, and abstract art, so I find a place for it. A great example of this is his "Human Relations" -> http://www.flickr.com/photos/ajourne...ll/3169144660/

Also, his nudes are quite... nice.

It's like comparing apples to oranges I think; and both have their place. I can also appreciate Adam's and Weston's opinions, because they were setting out to do something new, and in order to do that one must have strong convictions about their art.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    the MMI is an AWESOME resource...went there for a preview of the king's speech
    the director and Claire Bloom showed up after for a Q+A
    Best, Peter
    Yes David you should start a new thread about it
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just outside your bracket of 30s 40s Hollywood is one of my favourite photographers, Alfred Cheney Johnston.
    He did portraits of the Ziegfeld Follies til about 1929. The shots are not complex, but I think he really knew how to make a woman look amazing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin