Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,845   Posts: 1,582,694   Online: 1053

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Even thought I'm not in your market, thanks for offering that service.

The photos in your ad do not sell your service nor have much to do with it. Scrap them and replace them with one nice photo of something film developing related. Maybe a closeup pattern of a reel or thermometer macro or something. I would not sell prints in your ad either. Move the extra info about being available for shooting to the bottom to separate it from the processing advertisement.

As far as pricing you could offer a higher price for 1 roll, and your existing price as a quantity discount for multiple rolls so photographers save your time by bringing their film in batches. I spend far more time than you developing, but I also consider time for preparation, getting tempertures right, spooling the reels, use tmax film which requires longer fixing, wash my hands real good before cutting up the negatives, and putting things away. I don't do it professionally but set aside an hour per developing session.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    jp498 is pretty spot on for actual time spent processing a roll of film. Getting processing times down to 15 mins from start of developer to photo flo is way too short. Having film in developer less than 5 mins is an invitation to poorly processed film. Speed is not the answer to optimum processing. Unless you have a constant water bath that maintains chem temps all day(and all night) can be costly. Offering several different soups is an easy to become confused as to what combination of film, time, and developer you are using for each individual customer. If you are breaking in to the business of pro processing, keep it simple, and make sure to give your customers your best effort each and every time they entrust you with something as important as their film. I still cannot figure out how you intend to offer overnight turnaround if you have more than 10 rolls, especially if its for different customers, and you are a one man band. Is your DR set up for different rooms for film processing and paper print and process? If this is all one room, it may easily become a congested nightmare.Where and how are you drying film, hanging, or drying cabinet? You need time for the emulsion to properly harden prior to printing or face scratching it. You have a good idea, but I think you need to put more thought and planning before you have problems, and disgruntled customers.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also, I use paterson tank and reels. I have a 5-roll tank and a couple 2 roll tanks, so I can process a lot at once. I needed to do that much back when I shot sports in college in the 90's. The reels must dry before being reloaded, but with 9 reels, I can do 5 then 4 more without any delay. An extra tank and reels isn't much on the used market if you start doing a lot of it.

Not everyone will NEED their pix the next day, so until you get lots of business find out when they'll be back to pick things up. Some people might be fine with two days.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin