Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,445   Online: 965

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Talk about your photography

Hello!

Part of my senior year in high school requires me to do a senior project. I chose to do Analogue Photography as my topic. Photography is my hobby, and that I have been using film as my main medium for over a year now. I will (and have already started) experimenting with most aspects of non-digital processes, such as contact printing, developing color film, etc.

As part of this project I am required to interview person(s) that are professionals or are knowledgeable of the topic. I have decided that posting a set of open questions here would be a excellent method of conducting these interviews.

I will post the questions below. If you do not feel comfortable answering them you can PM or Email them to me. My email is photigragraphy(at)gmail(dot)com.

The interviews will be transposed into a formal paper for my class in the coming months. Aside from whoever views this thread, only my teacher and I will be reading the responses.

Questions:

1. What is your name? (Screen name is OK too)

2. Explain how you discovered photography.

3. How does film and other analogue processes and products affect you and your photography?

4. What is your opinion of the "Digital Revolution"?

5. Do you believe that analogue photography will continue to exist in the future?

6. Any comments, stories, tips, you would like to share?

Thank you for spending your time to help me out with my project. I truly appreciate it.

If this is in the wrong forum please move it or delete it.
    Cameras:
    Canon EOS Elan II/E, Elan 7, and 630. -- Bronica ETRS -- Pentax 6x7
    My Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bump
    Cameras:
    My Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PM sent
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Steve Smith.

From my father who was a semi-professional (weekends) wedding photographer.

3. How does film and other analogue processes and products affect you and your photography?

It's all I use so to put it another way, I am not affected by digital photography.

It's just a small part of the dumbing down of society and the rush to put convenience over quality which is happening in many aspects of our lives, not just photography. Music with MP3 files is another example.

5. Do you believe that analogue photography will continue to exist in the future?

I think it will but smaller companies like Ilford will have a leading role. I think Kodak will stop film production in a few years time then they will probably cease to exist as they are too big to adapt themselves to change.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Harmon View Post
    Hello!

Part of my senior year in high school requires me to do a senior project. I chose to do Analogue Photography as my topic. Photography is my hobby, and that I have been using film as my main medium for over a year now. I will (and have already started) experimenting with most aspects of non-digital processes, such as contact printing, developing color film, etc.

As part of this project I am required to interview person(s) that are professionals or are knowledgeable of the topic. I have decided that posting a set of open questions here would be a excellent method of conducting these interviews.

I will post the questions below. If you do not feel comfortable answering them you can PM or Email them to me. My email is photigragraphy(at)gmail(dot)com.

The interviews will be transposed into a formal paper for my class in the coming months. Aside from whoever views this thread, only my teacher and I will be reading the responses.

Questions:

Dan Henderson

I have been interested in photography since I was young. But it was only in the last 10 years that I "rediscovered" photography and had both the time and money to become more serious about it.

I think that my photography would not exist without analog products and processes. I say that because I am absolutely passionate about shooting with film and printing in the darkroom. Conversely, I am uninspired by digital photography, and I suspect that if digital was all there was, I would lose interest in photography.

I think of it as more of an "evolution" than a revolution. It is simply another medium of visual expression along with painting, drawing, analog photography, and other mediums.

I truly do. I think that the predictions of the death of analog photography are wrong, just as the predictions of the death of painting or illustrative drawings when photography was invented were wrong. I think that the primary purposes of analog photography have changed, (more for art, greatly diminished for advertising, journalism) but a strong and dedicated group of photographers and product suppliers will continue the medium.

I commend you, as a young person, for not being enraptured by the "glitter and the rouge" of digital photography and for appreciating the virtues of analog photography. Good luck!
    Thank you for spending your time to help me out with my project. I truly appreciate it.

The end.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1) For starters, everyone knows me as Rick.

2) I've been enamered with film since I was a tad, I always was fascinated by spy movies and seeing agents developing microfilm in a darkened room.

3) Film has always helped me define myself and my personal experession of art. Films have changed as have printing papers, but the basic process has stayed the same. I believe I am a traditionalist, as are most film photographers, at the same time we tend to bend the rules of art and new products only further that end.

4) I have five digits on each hand, and each has a specific task that film demands from them.

5) It appears to me that every day more people are rediscovering film, and that will show manufacturers that there is still a market for their products. I'll keep doing my part to support the industry.

6) When I was about eleven or twelve, we were living in northern New Mexico, and our neighbor introduced me to her guests, Ansel Adams and his wife(Greer Garson was the neighbor). I just thought of him as a wierd little man who had Polaroid cameras. Little did I know...
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hello!

Questions:

Hi Josh-

My name is Scott Davis. I got into photography originally just as a casual snapshooter, taking photos with my point-n-shoot for vacations, get-togethers with friends, and the usual stuff. After graduating from college, I was facing a long unemployment and job search (it was the early 90's, and the market for folks without a technical background (like myself at the time) was grim). I decided I wanted to pick up photography to learn just enough about it to use my photos as subject matter for painting and drawing, to pass the time while I was looking for work. A book, The Ansel Adams Guide: Basic Techniques of Photography, a decent camera, and some cheap second-hand darkroom equipment later, and I was on my way to my goal. However, the moment I developed my first rolls of film and saw that indeed, I could make this alchemy happen, I was hooked. Watching the first print come up in the tray, any thought of "just enough" was eliminated, and I knew I wanted to master this medium.

How do film and analogue processes affect my photography? Well, I've evolved a lot since those first days of the cheap enlarger balanced on the toilet, developing 8x10s in trays in the tub. Today, I'm mostly shooting large (and even ultra-large) format cameras, making contact prints in antique and historic processes. My photography would not be the same without analog media. I got into the antique and historic processes first out of fearful necessity - there was a moment where Kodak had ceased making paper, and Ilford was teetering on the verge of bankruptcy, so there was a concern that commercially produced analog materials might go away, abruptly. I decided I wanted to continue to be able to use the cameras I loved, so I turned to alternative, hand-coated processes. Much like my initial experience of photography intended for another purpose, after exposure (pun intended) to alternative processes, I became enchanted with the media and their qualities in their own right, and not just as a "substitute" for silver-gelatin products.

I currently print mostly in platinum/palladium and gum bichromate. I have also learned how to make wet plate collodion images and even took a weekend seminar on making daguerreotypes. For me, these hand-made processes are an antidote to the sterile, clinical and precise work produced by computer.

Along the way learning about all these antique processes taught me a lot about the history of photography, which has helped me see the "Digital Revolution" as really just another step in the evolution of the medium.

I've already hinted at what I think of the "Digital Revolution", but let me expand. It is just a tool for making images - a different kind of image, and I think it raises an extremely important question about the nature of photography itself - can you call digital imaging, "Photography"? The virtual nature of digital images until they are in fact committed to paper by ink or some other media, and their seemingly paradoxical qualities of extreme fidelity/incorruptibility (especially when copying) and extreme mutability (how easy is it to clone in a flying unicorn with a rainbow tail leaping over an F-16 fighter-jet racing past a waterfall?) problematizes the notion of what they are. Are they in fact photographs? Are they photographically oriented digital illustrations? Are they something else entirely for which we don't yet have a name? All these questions are interesting, and don't trouble me in the least except insofar as the "Digital Revolution" has reduced the availability and increased the cost of film. Digital has had its greatest impact, however, on color film, which is digital's greatest strength. My biggest fear for the outcome of the transition to digital will be the loss of color film, because it is far more dependent upon mass production to be sustainable than black and white media are.

I think wet-darkroom, analog photographic media will remain available for the remainder of my lifetime, and perhaps well beyond. They will continue to exist as boutique products, with a corresponding increase in price, and in all probability we will see color analog media disappear within my lifetime.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for spending the time to answer these questions. These responses will be very useful for my project. Thank you!
    Cameras:
    My Website

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Questions:

1. Chuck

2. It started in high school, I was a photographer for the school annual.

3. It affects me greatly. I do not consider myself to be an "artist" in any real sense of the word . But, within the process of film photography and all that it entails from start to finish, there exists a deep and gratifying feeling for what I have done.

4. I am not an opponent of progress or change. But I don't believe either, that progress or change is always a good thing.

5. That is the 64 million dollar question. I must believe so because I continue to spend and make plans and prepare for a dedicated home darkroom.

Hope this is helpful in some way.
    Chuck

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1) Guillaume Zuili

2) Movies, documentaries and desire to go out and see.

3) It is fundamental. You register memory on a negative and you make a print of it.

4) Vast question...

Print disappears and the screen culture replaces it.
    Basically "Instant Moment" replaces "Memory" and picture is gone when you hit the trash button. The photo album from the family, that kind of memory, is gone. I don't know what the future generations will look at when they want to look at their past.
    How to preserve files for the long term is another big issue. Hard drives don't last, OS change, corrupted files... problems are endless.
    All of that raises big red flags on me.

It also destroyed a lot of jobs. Because it's supposedly easy so "Why I would hire a photographer if I can do it myself" ? After all... I have a camera and photoshop.

With that terrible idea it brings down photography to a vast mediocrity in magazines and in almost every fields. When everybody can do it, it becomes cheap.

The last window for a photographer in the end is to be an artist. The other options, one by one, are washed away.

5) The niche should be there for a while but more and more expensive. And alternative processes are there. Why wet plate is so used now ?

6) Knowledge from analog photography is fundamental to use digital well.
    Without that you cannot understand the dry darkroom.

Shooting a film is a relationship with time. You don't see it until it has been processed. You think about it. Then you develop. And you see frame by frame how, why and what you did.
    There is no delete button. I like that :-)

Then printing is maybe the best feeling of it.
    When the printing gods are with you :-) :-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin