Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,439   Posts: 1,596,980   Online: 1146

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

How does one become a product photographer?

The question is simple. How does one become a product photographer?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You get an entry level job (like an English major might get) being a new guy/gal as an office worker somehow related to marketing at the business that makes or imports the product. When offered the opportunity to play with digital cameras and lights instead of other comparatively boring work projects you'll jump for it in a heartbeat. You get chosen because you're a better photographer than your coworkers, or perhaps because they are too busy. Whether this is the extent of the opportunity to be a product photographer depends on your local market, skills, etc... But it gains you some valuable work experience in this field and you get paid for it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It helps to live places where there's a lots of ad agencies and commerce. Chicago, LA and New York are good place to do business. There are also specialized areas of product photography such as food, cars and beauty. I would suggest assisting for product photographer(s) to get an idea of what's involved. Take a look at Workbook. http://www.workbook.com. Usually smaller towns have general product photographers and bigger cities have photographers that specialize.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In my personal opinion still life/product is very challenging. In the older day most people would use a view camera set the background, etc. You needed to be really good with studio light. I remember when I was in college we lighted a car and it was very difficult to do. I am sure know in the "D" age you just use a white background and do the rest on the computer.

m2c

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Learn how to make very good product photographs, then market the hell out of yourself.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    you've got to produce
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm
    I am sure it is not easy to answer but how much is the general price range for product photography? Just a general idea...

Shooter
    35mm
    Just to know whether it is worth it to invest time and money...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    When writing up an estimate for a client, itemize the expenses you expect to incur (equipment rentals, new equipment purchases, expendables like film, assistants, insurance for equipment and liability, models, permits, etc.) then add your hourly rate plus taxes. Hourly rates for full time professionals run from $50-$175 depending on the market you are in. If they except your estimate and you are under, then pat yourself on the back for making a little extra profit. If you are over, then take the loss in profit and learn to judge the next job better.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Reminds me of the old line: "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?" Answer: "Practice, practice, practice."

The first question though is whether there's a market. If you're not in a major manufacturing, distribution, or retail environment (location), I'd wonder about that.

Many years ago I did some subcontract work (aerial photography) for a photographer who specialized in product (catalog) photography for weekly ads. Then it was all about throughput at a reasonable quality level. When I spoke to him a couple of years ago, most of that work had dried up as manufacturers would provide digital images.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin