Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,762   Posts: 1,516,170   Online: 985

Shooter
    35mm RF

Nan Goldin/ Wolfgang Tillmans

Anyone here is interested in Nan Goldin or Wolfgang Tillmans. I found them very inspiring. Nan's works is especially passionate and human. I bought a couple of her books lately and was obssessed with her style.

Thanks!

Max

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by modsoul
    Anyone here is interested in Nan Goldin or Wolfgang Tillmans. I found them very inspiring. Nan's works is especially passionate and human. I bought a couple of her books lately and was obssessed with her style.

Thanks!

Max
    I don't know Nan, but Tillmans is great.

Shooter
    127 Format
    My other half bought the Nan Goldin book from the Phaidon series (each book is a collection of one photographers work - they're pretty decent, and most importantly cheap!).

Personally I found a lot of her work to be self centered (not always a bad thing) and naive. A lot of it is very much "look at how cool us NY artists are. We have lots of cool friends. They're so cool they get to have sex! Some of them are so cool they get to be gay. Bet you wish you were this hip".

It seems she hasn't realised that since the 80's, ordinary people have sex too sometimes. It felt like Warhol 20 minutes later.

I'm being harsh. Some of it was OK. I suspect that some of the more lame stuff turned me off to the better stuff (compared for example to Cindy Sherman who's early stuff is great, but I probably would have ignored if I'd seen her later stuff first).

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yup Ian,

Nan's later work is not really good. Like Cindy Sherman, her early works are quite good, especially those series she explored the bitterness and outcasted life of the drugqueens. Though everyone has its own judgement on art.

By the way, I love Cindy Sherman's Untitled Film Stills series a lot.

Do you have any suggestions on contemporary artists? Any suggested readings? Thanks!

Max

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I really liked the Nan Goldin piece on the last cover of _Aperture_. She's doing some things that have been done there with the reflection in the window, and such, but I thought it was really well done, and formally more interesting than some of her other recent work.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Am I the only one who can not stand Nan Goldin's and Cindy Sherman"s work ?!?!? For the life of me, and no matter how hard I try, I have never been able to tolerate either one's work.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin