Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,721   Online: 790

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've edited the title of the thread... indeed, there doesn't seem to be a decision as to whose negatives they are, so I'm not sure dear Uncle Earl has won, just yet!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What I still don't understand is how it even matters. Even if AA made the negatives, there are no "original" prints. Any new print you buy, obviously not made by AA or even by any of his assistants under his supervision, is worth nothing more than a print by whoever is currently printing these things. Regardless of whether or not they are AA's negatives, why would anyone have paid hundreds or thousands of dollars for these new prints? They should have been $12.50 either way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael R 1974 View Post
    What I still don't understand is how it even matters. Even if AA made the negatives, there are no "original" prints. Any new print you buy, obviously not made by AA or even by any of his assistants under his supervision, is worth nothing more than a print by whoever is currently printing these things. Regardless of whether or not they are AA's negatives, why would anyone have paid hundreds or thousands of dollars for these new prints? They should have been $12.50 either way.
    Even if the negatives had been without a doubt Adams', authenticated numerous ways and admitted to by the Adams Trust, possessing them does not give the possessor copyright, with the right to produce and sell prints.
    How Norsigian's lawyer (gee, haven't heard from him in a long time, have we) thought he could get around that one while making money off them...sheesh. "...matter of significant public concern."-yeah, right!

Relatively few of Adams' images have been seen. What would make any of these supposedly "lost" (abandoned, whatever) images worth more than any of the thousands in the archive in Tucson? It was nonsense to begin with.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There goes Norsigian's cash cow. What a scam, sham & flim flam.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Even if the negatives had been without a doubt Adams', authenticated numerous ways and admitted to by the Adams Trust, possessing them does not give the possessor copyright, with the right to produce and sell prints.
    Agree. I was not referring to the legal issues per se, rather questioning the rationale of anyone who actually bought prints. If Norsigian et al were making any money recently, it would have presumably been coming from print sales. Illegal or not, I simply don't understand the motivation of anyone who bought these things thinking they were worth any money in the first place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I understand, Michael.
    I should have started off my post by saying "In addition," or something like that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    There goes Norsigian's cash cow. What a scam, sham & flim flam.
    As I said a while back in a thread on this topic:

Nigerian, Norsigian, whatever.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Resolution on Glass Plates claimed to be by Ansel Adams

Sorry if this has been posted already...

It seems that there has been some final word on the glass plates found in Pasadena and sold at a swap meet. This article is from the LA Times...

http://goo.gl/pN4No
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    two threads merged.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    Not looking good but the only ones profitting from it.

Steve.
    If you earn a minimum of $300,- or more per hour, I guess you can afford a decent tailor made suit to "look good"

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    My father had a small statuette showing two people fighting over a cow - one pulling the horns, one the tail. In the middle sat the lawyer, milking the cow.
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin