Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,873   Posts: 1,583,548   Online: 886

Shooter
    35mm

Problem with my prints I just received

Hey guys so I'm new to film photography. I just bought a used Canon Rebel G with two lenses. I have used two rolls of film so far and so the other day i took them to Costco to get them developed (I went there because it was cheap) and when i picked up the pictures today i found a line running across all the pictures at the top. I have limited knowledge in this field so far but I'm guessing that this is a result of the printing process because i couldn't see the same lines on the negatives. I am hoping that It isn't the camera but let me know what you guys think. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 27170010.jpg   27170013.jpg   27170021.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you don't see it on your negative, it's not caused by your camera. I'm GUESSING it may be a dirty roller or something in the processing machine at the lab.... Why don't you take it back and have them reprint them...?
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree with tkamiya and also look at the negatives with a loupe.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is based on experience in troubleshooting scratches in cinema projection.

First, if the scratches (on film) occur on the emulsion and they are deep enough they will remove layers of the image and leave lines that are yellow green or clear.
    Light scratches on the emulsion side or moderate scratches on the base side will leave black lines.

The scratches don't seem to have disturbed the image-bearing layers of the emulsion. I'm going to bet they aren't on the film.

Looking at the pattern of the damage it seems that the surface of the film/paper was moving left to right (from the viewer's perspective) while some stationary object was dragging across it. The marks seem to be uniformly spaced, indicating that the film/paper was in continuous motion. This indicates that it happened in a machine, not in the camera. (Unless your camera has a motorized rewind.)

By virtue of the fact that the image under the scratch seems to be undisturbed, I'm going to bet that it is on the paper. If something dragged across wet emulsion of the film, it would have either removed portions of the image-bearing layers of emulsion or distorted them. To me, it looks like something disturbed the emulsion of the paper after the latent image was formed but before the film was completely developed.

I vote for a foreign object or piece of dirt in the paper path of the developing machine.

Verify this by getting a magnifying glass, a microscope or a loupe and looking at the film to see if there are marks.

If I was sitting in a cinema, watching a movie and I saw similar marks on the screen, that is what I would think.
    Randy S.

In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.

-----

http://www.flickr.com/photos/randystankey/

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by koolman101 View Post
    .... i took them to Costco to get them developed (I went there because it was cheap)....
    Ya gets what ya pays for.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have found that the quality at Costco is good. Furthermore, if you take them back with a problem, they will reprint them right away rather than make you wait. If have always found them willing to correct one of their problems.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin