Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,766   Online: 1086

Shooter
    Medium Format

Bill Brandts camera

can any one tell me what camera/lens combination bill brandt used to achieve his interior pictures and landscapes with their monumental depth of field. I have attached a picture of the camera im told he used.

the attached picture shows what i guess is an 8x10 its been described to me as either a forensic camera or a detective camera the lens im told is a very wide angle.

What format ? what lens?

can any body shed any light on this for me?

Thanks
    David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bill brandts camera.jpg  

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    It appears to be a home built 8x10 with an extreme wide angle lens, possibly about 6.5". It is impossible to tell more about it from the photograph.
    JIm
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format

Richard Wasserman

http://www.richardwasserman.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    An extremely wide angle 8x10" is the Burke & James Orbitar. It has no bellows, but a helical focusing mount and something like a 90mm lens or thereabouts. Maybe not exactly what he used, but certainly the same idea.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ...Lot 267: KODAK WIDE-ANGLE CAMERA, originally belonging to BILL BRANDT Bill Brandt - 1904-1983
    Auction House: Christie's
    Auction Location: United Kingdom
    .Auction Title: PHOTO

Description: A whole-plate mahogany and brass camera with removable bellows and baseboard section with a Zeiss Protar f.18 8.5 cm. lens no. 1355381, a Zeiss protar f.18 11 cm. lens no. 938858 and eight double dark slides. LITERATURE Haworth-Booth, Remembering Bill Brandt, V. & A. Album, No. 3, 1984, pp. 40 and 45. EXHIBITION Barbican Art Gallery, 'Bill Brandt Photographs 1928-1983', London, 1993. NOTES This camera, acquired by Brandt in 1945, was that used for his series of experimental nudes, started in the same year.
    Sam H.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin