Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,568   Posts: 1,545,441   Online: 1118

Thread: Ray Metzker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ray Metzker

Tonight I'll be driving Kansas City to hear a conversation between Nelson-Atkins MOA Photography Curator Keith Davis and Ray Metzker.

I might even get to shake his hand!

Anyways, I'm relatively new to his work, but I'd love to hear what you all know & think about his work. I enjoy getting other people's persepctive.

Thanks!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like a lot of Metzker's work. His early stuff was on the dark side, while the new stuff is quite bright. Google images.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bwrules View Post
    Google images.
    Of course.

And yes, I see what you're saying. I can't wait to see the prints in person; many appear to be absolutely lush. India ink blacks -> snow capped whites.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm in KC and really want to go, but I'm already committed to date night with the girlfriend. I've dragged her to far too many lectures at the Nelson it seems. I couldn't swing this one

The prints are bold! They're a lot of fun to look at.. lots of life in them. He's not afraid to use large areas of highlight or shadow with very little detail in them. He knows just when to use that technique, though. Some of my favorites are in the "couplets" series.

Don't forget to wander the rest of the photos, too! They just rotated the collection so there is a lot of new stuff up. Too bad you're a couple days early for Monet's Water Lilies triptych exhibit, unless you happen to be a member at the museum. It's worth another trip to see it!

Have fun tonight!
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks man,

Haha, it's funny you say that because I'm totally dragging my girlfriend. This is date night!

Can't wait, I'll report back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really like the work that's in his Landscapes book. I've seen the exhibit of it a couple times. Took me awhile to warm up to it. And the printing is very nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So, went to the conversation last night and then walked around the gallery. For 80 years old, Ray is still quite spry and has a good sense of humour and offered many insights into his work.

Totally analog too, definitely still hanging out in the darkroom.

I'm personally fond of his earlier work, and particularly his prints with repetitive themes. All told, a great event and really nothing compares to seeing good prints in person. Really made me wanna get in the darkroom...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm glad you enjoyed it! I've gone to a number of talks there and have always gotten a lot out of it. Anything that inspires us to go out and work on our own stuff more is worth it!
    "Technology is a big destroyer of emotion and truth. Opportunity doesn't do anything for creativity. Yeah, it makes it easier and you can get home sooner, but it doesn't make you a more creative person. That's the disease you have to fight in any creative field.. ease of use." - Jack White

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin