Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,576   Online: 775

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I love his work! A true legend

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    It's true "outsider art" where the artists' personae, circumstances, and limitations are as important as the quality of their work.
    That's so true.

These kinds of artists often resemble the prototypical "crazy hobo", or some other dismissive & derisive heuristic, but they are often brilliant minds that approach art from a completely different perspective than those who grew up concerned with "high art", or art informed by academic institutions.

An analogous figure in music is Harry Partch.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    That's so true.

These kinds of artists often resemble the prototypical "crazy hobo", or some other dismissive & derisive heuristic, but they are often brilliant minds that approach art from a completely different perspective than those who grew up concerned with "high art", or art informed by academic institutions.

An analogous figure in music is Harry Partch.
    Harry Partch built beautiful musical instruments, Tichy treated his gear like garbage (assuming the ones displayed at the Museum of Contemporary Art in Sydney were genuine--I can't see how anyone could expose a piece of film in them and I felt conned).

Harry Partch had deep and scientific knowledge of the physics of temperament in musci, Tichy hung around swimming pools making lousy pervy shots of young women.

Art, schmart!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    *shot down*!

Ok, forget I said Harry Partch & insert 'Wesley Willis'.

Partch was however, a social outcast, misunderstood and I wouldn't call his music widely accepted, plus he lived a transient lifestyle, particularly during the great depression.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I saw the show here in NY and my first reaction was a disgusted WTF? This is art? (I have since learned that any time I have this reaction I am probably going to be affected, in a good way, by it later) At 90 picures a day of just the women in town, I am still not completely convinced that he wasn't just a harmless stalker. However, the documentary that played with the show made a lot more sense of his musings on art - his pics look like he was just running around but he had very distinct thoughts in his head and the time of the filiming could tell you about them. His careless attitude with prints - watching him throw prints around or walk on them with an, "eh?" attitude has grown on me. The damage becomes just part of the prints life - like the scars that we all carry around. I can honestly say it affected the way I look at the pictures.

As a final thought, I think if any of his pictures were to show up here in the galleries they would recieve a lot of praise for their out there, arty qualities but because of his laissez faire attitude they aren't necessarily taken as seriously as they might be otherwise.
    Last edited by nhemann; 04-15-2011 at 12:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

edp

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I thought he was long dead.

I love the way he divides opinions between goatee-bearded chin strokers and everybody else.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    How is it that I always seem to be the last person to comment on a topic that I was interested in. lol.
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    *shot down*!

Ok, forget I said Harry Partch & insert 'Wesley Willis'.

Partch was however, a social outcast, misunderstood and I wouldn't call his music widely accepted, plus he lived a transient lifestyle, particularly during the great depression.
    My apologies if I was severe, not intended to address yourself. I understand that Partch was gay as well at not the best time to be so. His work may not be widely accepted, but certainly resonates (so to speak) through 20th and 21st C composition. I guess that's the fate that lies in store for many pioneers, maybe, dare I say it through gritted teeth, Tichy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    loved his work .. and i am glad
    he got some recognition for his
    decades with a camera -

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nhemann View Post
    How is it that I always seem to be the last person to comment on a topic that I was interested in. lol.
    Don't worry, I feel the same way sometimes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin