Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,927   Posts: 1,556,811   Online: 853

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Bad news from Misrata, Libya

I was just told by my friend at AP that two world-renowned photojournalists have been killed covering combat in Libya. Chris Hondros and Tim Hetherington have been killed, and Andre Liohn has been injured. We all know Hondros' pictures from the Iraq War in particular. He took the famous photos, illuminated by rifle lamps, of the one-of-many incidents in which Iraqi civilians in a car were killed at a U.S. checkpoint. Hetherington is a World Press Photo winner and co-director of the film "Restrepo."

This is really sad news to me. I want to take a moment to think of the journalists putting themselves in life-threatening situations so that we have the raw material necessary to be informed.

* Note: Hondros was initially reported dead, but the most current updates say that he is gravely wounded, and there has been no mention of Liohn beyond the initial report.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-20-2011 at 02:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That is terrible news. Thanks for the letting us know, those men put their hides on the line for a lot of people. I am one who is very thankful for their diligence and sacrifice.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should point out that this news just came to light and is technically unconfirmed...but the Tweet came directly from Liohn, so it is very likely true.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    I just heard from her that Hondros' death has been confirmed. Thanks for the article. Can you find a time of publication attached to it? I cannot seem to locate it.
    Based on my RSS reader, about 1pm ET. I could find anything specific on the NYT website.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just spoke again. Apparently there is some confusion in the journalism world as to Hondros' status, but Hetherington is being widely reported as deceased. More than one in Libya have reported that Hondros passed away, while others have reported that he is in grave condition with a head injury. We'll have to wait till the dust settles to find out.

P.S. Just spoke yet again. She says that nobody is exactly sure about Hondros, except that he is either in very bad shape or dead. And the confirmation was for Hetherington, not Hondros. But she says that those that AP has been able to contact closest to the victims themselves do not sound hopeful for Hondros.

I am going to delete my "Hondros confirmed dead" post above, as that confirmation was actually about Hetherington.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 04-20-2011 at 02:16 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Gravely injured" is the word for now. Here are some of the photos from his cards:

http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/0...work-in-libya/
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hate to hear about this, my father's coworker's son photogrphotoer was killed in USSR a few years ago

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    French Press Agency (whose images are distributed in the U.S.A. by Getty Images, who Hondros works for, BTW) reports the following (displayed via Yahoo): http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20110420...flictmediatoll. Sounds like Hondros is alive for now.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've heard that Hondros died after falling into a coma. This is extraordinarily sad news, I have nothing but admiration for those photographers who put themselves in harm's way to bring such stories to us. Hetherington's book, Infidel is, hands down, one of the best books on the way soldiers live and how war affects lives in such a personal way. It's a very important book, and the accompanying documentary film, Restrepo earned an Oscar nomination, though I haven't seen it yet myself. I find the book, (Infidel), to be one of the most beautifully designed and presented books, and is an incredible work of journalism that is moving and personal. My condolences to his friends and family.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin