Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,993   Posts: 1,524,267   Online: 997

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Thread: $3,890,500!!!

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    That's a fairly distinguished list of literature citations for this one image--Jack Flam, Rosalind Krauss, Peter Schjeldahl, etc.--so empirically, this stands out as a particularly representative example of the work of Cindy Sherman, so that may have something to do with the price.
    That's true, you can view the previous auctions of her work and see that more obscure prints didn't bring near that amount.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    I'm pretty sure the actual print has a commanding presence.....EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My taste must all be in my mouth. I don't get it. My thought is.. so? Or, some folks obviously have more money than they know what to do with.
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wish somebody would explain what features of this image make it "Art", when it isn't even a good photograph, because my education in these matters is obviously sadly lacking because to me it's like the story of The Emperors New Clothes, and everyone has been taken in by it.
    Ben

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    this is just a farce imo
    (dons asbestos coveralls)
    Just sour grapes, methinks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When it comes to discussing art, these kind of "oh I could do that" comments irritate me, along with the "artsy fartsy" allusions. Do you really think that is all that's involved?

I think it's a knee-jerk response, and there is always the accompanying aroma of jealously.

Benji, please explain why this "isn't even a good photograph".

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hoffy View Post
    Oh my.....The funny thing is I get the photo...
    I don't. Could you explain it? I have absolutely no idea.

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    I wish somebody would explain what features of this image make it "Art", when it isn't even a good photograph, because my education in these matters is obviously sadly lacking because to me it's like the story of The Emperors New Clothes, and everyone has been taken in by it.
    We tried explaining this type of photography in the Stephen Shore thread, but apparently we didn't satisfy your questions. I would highly recommend you take a photographic history or criticism course at the nearest university. It would do a much better job of answering your questions than we can here on an online forum.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cindy Sherman's photos are all about creating the sense of a movie scene, like we're looking at a still from a film, but we have no concrete idea about the broader plot or context. You fill in the rest of the story, but her pictures plant the seed, and in my opinion, a very well fertilized seed.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No picture should be worth that much money...In fact, no nuthin' should be worth that much money.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin