Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,523   Posts: 1,572,257   Online: 744

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries

Burtynsky's Linhoff?

I just watched the film about Edward Burtynsky, called "Manufactured Landscapes."

In some scenes, he is using what looks like a linhoff field camera of some sort....4X5 for sure...I am completely unfamiliar with this brand.

The camera seems to be upside down on the tripod...where the bed is at the top, over the lens instead of in the usual place. The camera also seems to have some sort of grip attached. Does anybody know what camera it is?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I don't remember which model he used in that film, but I know that it has front tilt, but it only tilts the top of the front standard back, so to get it to tilt the top forward, the camera was used upside down to achieve the scheimpflug focus he needed.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Did millions of people suddenly disappear? This may have an answer.

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    hmmm.....interesting! Now I'm more interested in the upside-down thing than the camera per se. Seems like a bit of a nightmare to arrange the camera upside down....wondering how I'd do this with my Toyo Field.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The Linhof may have a tripod socket on the top, you would need to find out which model it is and then the spec for it. I thought the Toyo Field had front and back tilt on the front standard, no?
    www.gregorytdavis.com

"No one knows that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father." -Matthew 24:36

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I thought the Toyo Field had front and back tilt on the front standard, no?
    Yes, it does....does the Linhof not? I've never found a reason to turn my camera upside down...perhaps this is why? Like I said, I know nothing about the Linhof system. Hence my curiosity about what he was doing.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If I am not mistaken, and I may be, the Linhof is similar to the Crown Graphic which only allows tilt in one direction rather than both. This was because the tilt wasn't for focus control, but rather to compensate for the drop bed design that allowed short focal length lenses.
    www.gregorytdavis.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Linhof has one f... The Linhof Master Technika Classic 4x5 camera is still in production in Munich, and it is the current incarnation of a long-line of technical cameras first introduced in 1937.

The reason it is upside down is that in order to accomplish front fall, you do front rise and then turn the camera upside-down. There is a mounting screw hole on the top plate of the camera to allow you to mount it upside-down.

Though I love my Master Technika, I just added a Kardan GT 4x5 monorail camera to the family for architectural photography.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Older Linhofs (of which I have two) are pretty much like Pacemakers in the front in terms of basic anatomy. (The Techs add swings and more extreme shifts, which are geared.) This means that the only tilt is rearward. Unless, of course, you have a dropping bed, in which case a combination of dropping the bed, repositioning the front standard vertically (using the rearward tilt), and raising the lens back to the "zeroed out" location gives you the ability to have forward tilt. By changing the position of the bed and standard at the "zeroed" position, "untilting" the rearward tilt actually becomes the same as using a forward tilt, as far as what the film sees.

So, it sounds like either he was using a Linhof earlier than the Tech III version 3 (meaning that it had no drop bed), or he just didn't know this little trick to cheat the forward tilt from the camera.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Henry Carter's answer is correct. Technikas IV and later tilt in both directions, but if you're shooting from an elevated vantage point and need front fall, the easiest way is to turn the camera upside down and use the tripod socket on top of the camera body. If I'm shooting in a situation where I think I'll need this often, I'll even mount a QR plate on top of the camera.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Of course the other advantage is the image appears the right way up on the ground glass
    http://www.tonyeganphotography.com/index.html
    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin